Rentals - beginners vs "high performance" - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Rentals - beginners vs "high performance"

At the mountain I go to they rent a typical beginners Burton board with beveled edges.. But then they have "high performance" boards which cost more to rent. I asked the guy what the difference is and he said that its harder to link turns on the advanced board because the bottom is curved and the edges are not beveled... but wouldn't a curved bottom make it EASIER to link turns?

What are the other differences between a beginners and "high performance" board?
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
hnz

flex patterns, base materials
hnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thats it? The ppl tried to tell me the high performance models had "traction something-or-other" and a lot of nice features.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The high-performance board is less forgiving. If you are an experienced rider you may like it better, however if you are still learning then you may find yourself crashing a lot. Think of it like a high-performance sports car in the hands of a 15-year-old with a learner's permit.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I see.. so at what point should I start using a high-performance? I can link turns well and plan to start the process of learning to carve and hit jumps, but am not doing rails or anything.

Also why do you say I will be falling a lot more? I didnt think the "beveled" edges made THAT big a difference

Last edited by onthefence; 02-08-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Try a high-perf board. If you like it, keep using it. If not, get the regular and use it for awhile longer.
PredaClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
I see.. so at what point should I start using a high-performance? I can link turns well and plan to start the process of learning to carve and hit jumps, but am not doing rails or anything.
If you want to move beyond a low-quality rental board, you should think about buying your own board rather than using the more expensive rentals.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

Also why do you say I will be falling a lot more? I didnt think the "beveled" edges made THAT big a difference
Beginners fall and catch edges, it's part of learning. When you feel comfortable on all parts of the mountain on the crap rental board, demo some of the HP boards and see which ones you like, then buy one.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't know if there's any definite guideline. Whenever you feel like it I guess. When curiosity gets the better of you.

Quote:
Sharp edges catch more easily; that's why people have them "detuned." An experienced rider with edge awareness can feel what the board is about to do, but until you get there you might be caught off guard.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

About edge catching... just to be sure. This is when a rider tries to get on one edge while be is on the other (rather than while the board is flat), right? I assume this is that type of fall when you feel like the board was ripped out from under you.

I think Ill try the high performance next time so I can learn to ride those before I commit to buying. I definitely dont wanna buy a beginners board so I figure the sooner I learn the better.