Lookign for suggestions on a second, step-up board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lookign for suggestions on a second, step-up board

I am in my first full season of riding and love it. Right now I'm on a 160cm K2 Raygun, which is great to learn on but really too short for my weight except going slow on groomers, and I already prefer powder and trees. I'm looking for suggestions on the next board I should get, either during end of season sales this year or next season.

My stats:
Male, 30, 225lbs, 5'9" tall, 11.5 boot size.

My riding style:
Freeride I guess. I basically look for ungroomed blues and some easy blacks right now, but my skills are certainly progressing. No cliffs this year, but next year who knows. I like flat trees and can get off work when there's powder, which there often is where I ride (Bridger Bowl, MT). I find myself looking for small kickers, and have probably landed 80% of the jumps I've tried (admittedly all tiny). I don't foresee going into the park at all anytime soon. If I do, it'll be airs rather than jibbing.

I'm definitely looking at a rocker or R/C board. My first board was traditional camber and it was terrible for me: catching edges and digging in in pow. Even short, the Raygun is floaty enough so I can actually turn rather than straightline it, and I don't think I've ever caught an edge except trying to ride switch. I do like the idea of a semi-twin board, because I do want to learn switch riding so I can "play" when I hit jumps.

Boards I'm considering right now:
NS Heritage X 163 or 166
K2 Turbo Dream Wide 164
K2 Slayblade Wide 163 or 166
Ride Highlife 163 or 168

I am certainly open to other suggestions. One other possibility I'm considering, perhaps due to the lots and lots of fresh that I'll be riding on tomorrow, is a cheap powder board, almost certainly a Charlie Slasher 164. The Raygun certainly isn't used up, so besides the short length and the lack of speed, there's no reason to demote it to "rock board." That suggests that going for a specialty powder board makes as much or more sense than going for an all around board.

Thoughts?
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lib Tech T.Rice 164.5 would be another board I would look at. I am a similar weight and just got a Heritage (162) and reading what you want to do with it I think it might be too flexible...it is softer than I assumed it would be...quite a bit softer than the T.Rice.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote