Toe/ and Heel Overhang Question - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
Board now is a 155 cambered, i'm 5'8", weight can vary between 155 and 185 (sometimes I hit the gym a little too much, lol) but typically 165 - 170lbs.

Boards in the past have ranged between 152 and 158 depending on use, although I have rode anywhere from 139 to 165 but these extremes don't make me happy.

Basically I love to spin, press, butter, rails, boxes, kickers. I ride switch at least 35% of the time. For me 155ish is the sweet spot of length/pressability and my stance width while retaining a nice reduced swing-weight.

Hope this helps!
Yes, this helps a lot. I am a fellow gym rat and my body weight goes anywhere from 168 to 183 depending on if I'm cutting or building mass. Typically in the winter I am around 175-180.

Thanks
Asia_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Here are some pictures of my setup. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks to all that have replied so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (66.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0448.jpg (91.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (116.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0446.jpg (68.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia_Rider View Post
Here are some pictures of my setup. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks to all that have replied so far!
are those the exact angles and width you will be strapped into?
Chaos Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
are those the exact angles and width you will be strapped into?

Yeah those are my riding angles. They are set at +15 and -12. I actually might prefer the -9 on the rear, but it could add more of risk. Any thoughts on my setup? Is the overhang too much?

Last edited by Asia_Rider; 02-08-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah those are my riding angles. They are set at +15 and -12. I actually might prefer the -9 on the rear, but it could add more of risk. Any thoughts on my setup? Is the overhang too much?
I don't think you have much to worry about there. You most likely could get a bit of toe drag if carving aggressively but overall it shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure you are centered over the mid-line which looks like you are, this helps you initiate either edge with about the same amount of effort. One of the problems with going to a board that is too wide is that it takes more effort to get 'on edge'. I would say that toe-edge is harder to get on and stay on for many people, especially beginners, and especially if their bindings aren't set up right or if their board is too wide. One should be able to roll from edge to edge without having to recruit your toes forcefully, and by having a bit of overhang changes the lever and thus makes it easier to initiate that edge.
Chaos Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

by the looks of it, you have plenty of room to spare. you only need to start worrying when you have more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of overhang on the heel and toe.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
by the looks of it, you have plenty of room to spare. you only need to start worrying when you have more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of overhang on the heel and toe.
I do have more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch of overhang. Look at the pics I posted, 2 of them have ruler measurements. Do you think a board with 260 width is going to be to wide for me? I don't want to lose edge to edge response but I don't want to wreck .
Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I do have more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch of overhang. Look at the pics I posted, 2 of them have ruler measurements. Do you think a board with 260 width is going to be to wide for me? I don't want to lose edge to edge response but I don't want to wreck .
I had that much overhang on my 25.2 board and went for a 26.0 mid wide on my new board. Will be trying it out the day after tomorrow.
Glitchdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchdj View Post
I had that much overhang on my 25.2 board and went for a 26.0 mid wide on my new board. Will be trying it out the day after tomorrow.
Can you please let me know how it rides?
Also, what size boots do you have?
Any chance that you can post pictures with your boots strapped in showing your overhang with the 260?
I'm really trying to find someone in a similiar situation with my build/boot size that can give me a similiar idea of what to expect.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

i wear size 11s no shrinkage tech so should be a true 11 footprint. in the past I have ridden wide boards but the more I ride other boards, the more the wide boards feel sluggish edge-to-edge. I am pretty comfortable at 255mm but I can ride down to 250 or so without any problems.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2