Toe/ and Heel Overhang Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Toe/ and Heel Overhang Question

Hello,

I have been reading a lot of the articles on this website and I have yet to be convinced either way. Here are my stats and my board, please let me know what you think.

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 176 lbs
Boots: 10.5 (actually size 11.5 using burton's "shrinkage technology" size 10.5 footprint.

Board: Never Summer Heritage
Length: 155
Width: 252
Bindings: Flow size Large

I have my setup at +15 -12 and I have centered and measured my overhang at roughly 1 inch front and back. Now it's hard to measure the actual overhang of the boots because they curve upwards at roughly 3/4 of an inch, and if I measure at the actual tip of of the toe and heel it's a little bit more than an inch and obviously the rear foot is a little more overhang than the front due to the less angle degrees.

Is this going to be a problem or should I get the 156W version of this board which has a 260 width or possibly even a larger size?

I am an intermediate rider who loves going fast on groomers and doing sharp, some what deep carves. I am getting curious about hitting jumps and cruising the park to learn something different. The powder situation is almost never a possibility.

Please let me know what you think about my situation. I really appreciate your responses.
Asia_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Only way to find out if this will work for you with your riding style is to go shred the deepest carve you can
init is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, that's true, but I am a little scared of biting it, but I guess I will push it and see. What about the size? Any comments on the overhang or board length for my weight?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
TLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by init View Post
Only way to find out if this will work for you with your riding style is to go shred the deepest carve you can
And how often you gonna carve like this. If you gonna ride park or allmountain your size won't make you a problem. But if you want to lay down in a carve with duck stance, it will.
Oh. i read you like deep carves... Well, better check yourself, because your(and mine ^_^) deep carves is nothing to hardbooters. Go wide only if you can lay down really well. (you gotta change stace for it also =)) in other case keep this stick
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I got size 12s and my stiarmaster has a 252 waist. I rode it for the last 2 years and have never had any boot drag. My stance is 15/-15 so fairly similar. I don't remember if i have ever really pushed a turn on the board though.
You will probably be fine with what you ahve though.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a size 11 and rode anywhere from 15, -9 to 15, -15 over the years. Boards I have owned have typically been in the 248 to 250ww. this was before 'shrinkage tech' or whatever. I never had any issues. when I tried a 246ww it felt a bit narrow, and 244ww was definitely too narrow for me and I suffered from toe-grab, but as soon as I tried a 252ww or greater I found a decreased responsiveness edge-to-edge.

Now I have size 11 with shrinkage, ride a 250ww at 15,-15 and it is perfect for me.

Long story short, I think you'll be just fine!
Chaos Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
I have a size 11 and rode anywhere from 15, -9 to 15, -15 over the years. Boards I have owned have typically been in the 248 to 250ww. this was before 'shrinkage tech' or whatever. I never had any issues. when I tried a 246ww it felt a bit narrow, and 244ww was definitely too narrow for me and I suffered from toe-grab, but as soon as I tried a 252ww or greater I found a decreased responsiveness edge-to-edge.

Now I have size 11 with shrinkage, ride a 250ww at 15,-15 and it is perfect for me.

Long story short, I think you'll be just fine!

Thanks for the comparison. I'm just curious on how long your board is, your weight, and how you typically ride (freeride/park).
Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i ride with size 11 boots on a board with 255 mm waist width at ducked out angles and i have nooo trouble with overhang at all. IMO, the narrowest you should go is about a 248 or so, with normal stance width and angles. frankly, it does really all depend on your width and angles.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

You will be fine. I use size 12 boots with a 254. The 1.5 footprint size difference should easily make up for the 2mm difference. At least I would think.
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia_Rider View Post
Thanks for the comparison. I'm just curious on how long your board is, your weight, and how you typically ride (freeride/park).
Board now is a 155 cambered, i'm 5'8", weight can vary between 155 and 185 (sometimes I hit the gym a little too much, lol) but typically 165 - 170lbs.

Boards in the past have ranged between 152 and 158 depending on use, although I have rode anywhere from 139 to 165 but these extremes don't make me happy.

Basically I love to spin, press, butter, rails, boxes, kickers. I ride switch at least 35% of the time. For me 155ish is the sweet spot of length/pressability and my stance width while retaining a nice reduced swing-weight.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Chaos Theory; 02-07-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Chaos Theory is offline   Reply With Quote