Help w/ first board purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help w/ first board purchase

Hi, This is my first season snowboarding and I'm loving it! I rented each time and don't want to waste any more $$$ that could be going toward my own board. I will be riding mostly all groomed trails here in N.J. PA and N.Y. Not really interested in the park stuff, maybe just some small snow jumps. I am 36 yrs. old, 5'10" 195 lbs.and a 12 boot. After much research I narrowed my choices to:
Burton Mayhem
K2 Zeppelin, Raygun, Anagram, Turbo Dream
Ride Crush
I want a wide board which all these models have. I believe I would feel most comfortable on a length of 156-160cm. I am looking for a pretty forgiving riding board. Please help me make my decision on this, I want to buy!!!
NJtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

This doesn't help you much for your board choice as i am unfamiliar with all of those boards haha.
I have found capitas to be awesome for me with my size 12 boots since a lot of their boards are just wider to start with.

Anyway I've found that a waist width of 252 is about as narrow as I would go with a fairly wide stance and 15/-15 angles.

Depending on your stance you may need to look for slightly wider to prevent drag issues.
If you stick with wide boards you should also not have to worry.

Since you are mostly into just free riding you might as well pick up a board on the longer end of your range. Will make riding at higher speeds easier and if you ever go some where with a solid powder day just shift the stance back a bit and you are ready to go.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Agree on the capita suggestion. I have a stepchild jib stick and like it a lot. It would be pretty good for what you do although its more of a park oriented board it rides really well. I dont know if they make it in wide but they make it in 156 and that would probly work fine for you.
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, the Black Death looks like a great board. At the high end of my budget though for my first board. I would love to find a nice condition used one at 156 or 159cm. Any other suggestions anyone. I would like to be under $500. for board and bindings. Like I mention, a very good condition used board would be fine.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

^ you could get a new horroscope fk for 300 on ebay and find some union forces or flux titans for less than 200 if you look around. Thats what I would reccomend
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I too am new at boarding and live in NJ. I picked up a Lib Tech Jamie Lynn and it is completely awesome. The magnetraction is great for the east coast icy hardpack. It's an all mountain board and it comes in a 157 Wide. I really really think you should give it a shot. It's perfect for all mountain and it carves great, rides smooth, holds an edge very well, and is really forgiving on turns. I had a K2 that was a hand me down and stumbled on this board by accident. It is a totally different ride but I am a convert now to the rocker camber hybrid. I have a 154 but I am 5' 7" and 175. According to them you can rock shorter lengths (up to 3cms) on the Lib's because of their design.
ardvark666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke89 View Post
^ you could get a new horroscope fk for 300 on ebay and find some union forces or flux titans for less than 200 if you look around. Thats what I would reccomend
The horroscope might be a little on the soft side.
Next year Capita has the NAS coming out which might be pretty cool which could also be the quiver killer right now. That might be a solid choice. Might be able to find a deal on a quiver killer sometime soon.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Damn that's a nice board! I would take your advise and buy it, if it weren't $539. a little out of my range for my first board. I want the same characteristics as this board in around the $300. range. Can someone let me know where to find it???
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got mine leftover for 400.00 I saw one on ebay last week in a 157w for 350.00 GNU makes the Carbon Credit in a 156wide. You can find em for less than that a guy on ebay has em new for 365.00
Gnu Carbon Credit 2011 Model 4 Sizes to Choose - eBay (item 200571971697 end time Mar-03-11 16:14:06 PST)

Check around. I have heard great things about this board. Actually I went in to the local shop to buy the GNU and they had the Jamie Lynn for 400.00 so I snatched it up.
ardvark666 is offline   Reply With Quote