Help me pick - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which board would you pick for a beginner girl?
GNU B-Nice 146 18 81.82%
K2 Lunatique 142 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me pick

For a beginner girl rider on the small side, 105 lbs and almost 5'5. I only cruise down mountains, no park whatsoever. Only started riding this season for a few times, can link turns on groomed green.

Rides in Lake tahoe, quite icy despite being in the west coast, i guess the magnatraction may come into play.

Goal is to help a beginner learn as quick as possible without spending most of my time on my ass catching edges. But the way I catch edges, I suspect having a rocker/magnatraction might now even help.I just lost my concentration and forget that i'm on toe edge and go directly to heel edge and bam.

Gnu B-nice ($350)
Magnetraction
rocker (is it a hybrid??? )
Like the design a tad better than the lunatique
Comes in 146, slightly longer than what I want, but the sales guy said because of the more severe banana/rocker, it's okay even if it's a bit longer

K2 Lunatique ($250)
cheaper than b-nice
hybrid (that's what the guy said)
comes in 142 , length i'm comfortable with
I do not like the design but that's minor
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

the b-nice comes in small sizes I believe. But, in terms of the actual board, I think the Gnu is a better board. You get more tech and you can grow into it more. I personally got my gf a b-nice (the lunatique was in list as well).
jkc350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc350z View Post
the b-nice comes in small sizes I believe. But, in terms of the actual board, I think the Gnu is a better board. You get more tech and you can grow into it more. I personally got my gf a b-nice (the lunatique was in list as well).
Ooops, I mean 145.

What made you pick Gnu instead?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayewolf View Post
Ooops, I mean 145.

What made you pick Gnu instead?
In my opinion, it just had a ton more tech for relatively the same price. I got her the 2010 model, so it was like $260. Even if the price was more than the K2, i'd still get her the Gnu. Its flexible and forgiving enough for a new rider, but also has the tech to back up a intermediate rider.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
In my opinion, it just had a ton more tech for relatively the same price. I got her the 2010 model, so it was like $260. Even if the price was more than the K2, i'd still get her the Gnu. Its flexible and forgiving enough for a new rider, but also has the tech to back up a intermediate rider.
Thats a really good price!! I would pick that over lunatique if thats the case too!
Now I have brought b-street into the picture, (b-street cheaper than b-nice because its on sale), I'm even more confused.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats a really good price!! I would pick that over lunatique if thats the case too!
Now I have brought b-street into the picture, (b-street cheaper than b-nice because its on sale), I'm even more confused.
from what I understand the b-street is a step above the b-nice. I would do a bit of research regarding the differences. I am not too familiar with all the women's boards out there.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

What I gathered, the difference is the base, B-street is softer than the B-Nice and has a sintered base instead of an extruded base. And of course, none of this means anything to me...
All i know is that the B-street is originally priced higher, but the sales price is a good $70 cheaper than the B-nice...
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
What I gathered, the difference is the base, B-street is softer than the B-Nice and has a sintered base instead of an extruded base. And of course, none of this means anything to me...
All i know is that the B-street is originally priced higher, but the sales price is a good $70 cheaper than the B-nice...
Well, from my understanding, a sintered base is a higher quality base that performs a bit smoother/faster,etc., but also requires more waxing/maintenance. An extruded base will require less waxing and is much easier to repair and maintain.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, from my understanding, a sintered base is a higher quality base that performs a bit smoother/faster,etc., but also requires more waxing/maintenance. An extruded base will require less waxing and is much easier to repair and maintain.
This is correct. I'm not 100% sure on the semantics of them necessarily being higher quality, but sintered is more expensive, requires more maintenance, and will be faster than extruded if kept up. Extruded will be faster than a poorly kept sintered base, so if you want less work go extruded. If you're OK with keeping your base up, go sintered.
PredaClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm sorry I'm really new, I don't know what maintenance I'll have to do, do I have to wax my own board or bring to shop?