Downsizing boards for more freestyle oriented riding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Downsizing boards for more freestyle oriented riding

Hey, first post here

I am 5'9 and 155 lb, I used to ride a 154 Burton Custom 2005. It was my go to board for anything from small to medium jumps, to glades and groomers.
The only thing that I didnt dare to do are the rails.

I have been riding snowboards since 1999 and have decided that its time for me to learn more about jibbing. I went out to my local board store to talk to the guys who work there since they are usually very knowledgeable and they get to demo all the equipment. The sales guy showed me a few boards that would be good for jibbing and park but would still work for as an all mountain board since I wont be keeping my custom. I ended up purchasing the Gnu Street Series 152. The sales guy told them to downsize since its a park board.

The board is sick, I can nail my 180s of small jumps and do the fun boxes without much trouble, I am also interested in some buttering. The only thing that is bothering me is that I possibly bought myself a board that is too short. This is in the back of my head and I would like some opinions on it. I rode the board for 2 hours today and it was pretty good. It is a totally different beast then the custom, not better or worst just different. This is my first park board and I found it a little chattery when doing fast heel side carves down the blue runs. I am wondering if this is simply because it is a park board or is the length a big factor. Does 152 sound good for a rider my side with park in mind ?

for who ever is interested, I am running
Rome 390s 21.5 inch width 15/-15
Boots are Burton Hails

Last edited by _eug_; 02-07-2011 at 06:07 PM.
_eug_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 160 and I ride a 151 for my park board.. The GNU SS is the softest board GNU has to offer, thats probably why the chatter. But really, it should be fine for groomers and park.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There's always going to be a trade off. Your new board is going to be more flexible and (obviously) shorter so it won't be as stable as your old board at speed. At the same time, compared to your old one I imagine it's much better at jibbing.

I had the same experience recently. I was using a 164cm Atomic Radon as my main board and switched to a demo Sync Sentury (true twin) 159 cm for a couple days (specifically, powder days) and I noticed a huge difference in how it handled the runs. While it won't even be as stable as a longer directional board, the Sentury did fine after I got used to a more flexible board.

tl;dr Give it some time, you'll get used to it.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote