Another big guy needs a board thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another big guy needs a board thread

Hi all, love the site, been reading for about a week and have learned a great deal. Now I'm hoping the great minds here can help me pick out my first set up.

The gritty details: I'm 33, 6'1" and 250lbs. Boot size is a 12. I just started learning and have gone out for 6 nights of lessons so far. The terrain up here (Maine) is groomed packed powder, and at my local hill it gets prety icy. Being older and bigger I really want nothing to do with park riding, I'm mostly looking to stay on the trails and carve out some powder when it's available. I've been riding lots of different rentals as there were issues from night 1. We went 3 weeks before figuring out in was goofy, and another two before finding out my stance was small and so was the board. So finally the rental that worked the best was a 162 wide Dynastar, with XL Atomic bindings.

So I'm looking to buy my set up and stick between $700-800, and if possible I'd like to support my local shops. Only problem is that their supply of 162-163 wide boards is kinda small.

Here are the local boards:
163 wide K2 Anagram - $300
160 wide Burton Bullet - $300
162 wide Burton Deuce - $285
160 wide K2 Raygun - $340

Bindings I'm between two as of now:
2011 K2 Formula
2011 Rome 390

Boots I'm still clueless on as I've put more research into the board and bindings, but I think Im leaning towards the Salomon Savage, as I hear they are good for wide feet.

I think I'm leaning towards the raygun, but when I was on a 160 bord last it was not as easy to control, and frankly I'm worried about getting on and it just not being the right size. Any and all help or comments are welcome, I'll even take some noob ridicule .

Thanks all!
Pixel8tedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Great minds? On here? 3/4 of the guys on here are worried if their boards match their bindings.

sorry I can't help you on those boards, if it was a Lib or Gnu, I could.

Ask Leo.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lol, well thats important too, doesn't it make you go faster or something

Any recommendations on a Lib or Gnu? I've read plenty of good things about Lib's in the northeasts terrain, but are they good for a rookie, or too much board?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

good beginner to intermediate board.

GNU Snowboards Carbon Credit Series

they have a 162 wide
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got a friend riding the carbon credit. He really likes it.
He enjoys the magnatraction stuff a lot and he has size 13s and the board is more than wide enough.
I think his is a 159 wide.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, I hadn't even considered that board, and it looks like it would be perfect. The price point looks pretty sweet as well. When do retailers start marking down for next year?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

might as well get this board.

o2gearshop.com

Look for a coupon code online, I found one. Ordered a 2010 T.Rice from 02 gear shop outlet and they sent me a 2011 T.Rice instead.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would imagine They will start marking down within the next month at the latest!
I'm also looking at picking up a carbon credit for a friend who is about your size as well.
notter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstarrasl View Post
might as well get this board.

o2gearshop.com

Look for a coupon code online, I found one. Ordered a 2010 T.Rice from 02 gear shop outlet and they sent me a 2011 T.Rice instead.
Nice find there. I don't really care the model year, it's all about the most board I can grow into and both the skunk ape and carbon credit are looking killer. Wish there was a place round here to check 'em out. I might have to call some suppliers tomorrow.

So what I'm seeing so far is out of the boards I was considering, I should skip em and aim a bit higher. Right?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel8tedOne View Post
Nice find there. I don't really care the model year, it's all about the most board I can grow into and both the skunk ape and carbon credit are looking killer. Wish there was a place round here to check 'em out. I might have to call some suppliers tomorrow.

So what I'm seeing so far is out of the boards I was considering, I should skip em and aim a bit higher. Right?

I don't know anything about those other boards. I'm a 5 time owner of Mervin boards (gnu&lib) and never had any problems with them and speak highly of them.

I would get the skunk ape over the CCS. Treated right, you can get lots of seasons out of one. I was riding squaw the other day and I saw a guy on a Gnu I had in 95.