Board size question (does it make a diff rocker vs camber?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board size question (does it make a diff rocker vs camber?)

I've kind of decided on my board: GNU B-Street (thanks for everyone's help and suggestions here esp lilfoot)!!

I hope I'm not beating this question to death, but i'm really indecisive of the size of the board.
I'm about 105, sometimes 108lbs, without wearing those heavy boots. And I'm 5'4 1/2. I'm a bit on the tinier side for my height.

I will only cruise down the mountain, never go into the park. Maybe when I'm alot better and feel like I can actually control the board, I'll try half pipe, but let's pretend that i have absolute no interest in going into the park given my age.

GNU B street comes in 141 and 145. The sales person said either one will work. What would be the advantages of getting the shorter vs the longer? He said something about it being a rocker, longer would be better (don't understand why)
He said the shorter board might not be as stable when I go fast, but I really don't go that fast, and right now, I'm not sure how long it's going to take me before I feel comfortable enough to actually go fast!! And how fast are we talking about??

Decisions, decisions, please help me reason out whether I should get 141 or 145?
fayewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With a rocker board you can typically go smaller. He is right about the length and stability. You will probably be fine with either. From GNU's website they don't have a suggest weight chart. I would probably go for the 145 for a little extra stability since you have no desire at this time for park.

Last edited by gjsnowboarder; 02-08-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
With a rocker board you can typically go smaller. He is right about the length and stability. You will probably be fine with either. From GNU's website they don't have a suggest weight chart. I would probably go for the 145 for a little extra stability since you have no desire at this time for park.
Great!! I was tempted to exchange for the smaller one thinking that it would be easier to control. But I'll take whatever size that will help me learn and fall less. Yep, no desire to go to the park, no desire to bomb down too fast at this point either.
Goal is not to catch edges and fall on my ass that much
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The smaller board will be easier control, the longer board will probably be more appropriate for what you want to ride as you progress. The rocker regardless of length of board will make the difference of not catching an edge, along with of course, your technique.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay, 145 it is then
When I first read this, i was like, dang, so if i ride on a rocker, i will NOT catch edges?? I know that its not true, technique is def what drives that.