How bad does too small of a board effect you? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How bad does too small of a board effect you?

I'm riding a board 6cm too small for me right now. I have edge hold issues on ice real bad. Chop also beats me up. I know some of it is in my technique and nervousness on the chop end, but I can blow through my edges like a champ on icey stuff. I'm not talking solid ice either, but anytime it's so hard you don't want to fall. In them conditions it's real hard to keep the board planted and I waste a lot of energy trying to survive.

Has anyone else here been stuck on a board too small for them? How did it effect you? I am asking this more to the all mountain and freeride guys. Small park boards make tons of sense.
Prime320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just got my Artifact Rocker, and it's a 150, My last board was a 157 Burton Bullet, I am 6ft. So im not sure, I havent used my Artifact yet. Hopefully it's cause your nervous, or your technique (no offense of course) But I ride park alot.
gus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

those problems could also be due to other things like the stiffness of the board, how you ride and the edges on your board.

Size isn't everything. What type of board is it? I don't think 6 cm would matter as much as riding a noodly board that gets tossed around and can't hold an edge.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty34 View Post
those problems could also be due to other things like the stiffness of the board, how you ride and the edges on your board.

Size isn't everything. What type of board is it? I don't think 6 cm would matter as much as riding a noodly board that gets tossed around and can't hold an edge.
It's an atomic hatchet 162. I did much better with my ride timeless 164. I really wish that board never got stolen. I am sure a lot of it is my technique. I mentioned this in my first post.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to have a 148cm and I didn't like the way it rode. I didn't feel like I had good edge control. I moved my bindings closer together to reduce my stance width and it rode better.
crimsonfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

6mm too short for you based on what?
and your previous board was only 2cm longer but you are having more problems on the new one?
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesp View Post
6mm too short for you based on what?
and your previous board was only 2cm longer but you are having more problems on the new one?
I don't think the 2cm of the board is the big difference. I think in this case it was board design. Based on my weight and manufacturers specs.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i'm sorry but what exactly is 6cm too short?

i'm 5'8' 165ish and I ride a 155 but I would consider anything from 151 to about 159 a good size for me... so when you say 6 cm too short... that would be me riding a 145?
jyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuen View Post
i'm sorry but what exactly is 6cm too short?

i'm 5'8' 165ish and I ride a 155 but I would consider anything from 151 to about 159 a good size for me... so when you say 6 cm too short... that would be me riding a 145?
Most board manufacturers and generic calculators place me on a 168. I ride a 162 freestyle board for all mountain and freeride. Not ideal I know.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime320 View Post
Most board manufacturers and generic calculators place me on a 168. I ride a 162 freestyle board for all mountain and freeride. Not ideal I know.
Prime, you are comparing apples and oranges; i.e. you are using your old stance settings on a different board.

1) According to product description the Ride Timeless is a Highspeed freeride board. Whereas the Atomic Hatchet is a freestyle board.

Ride Snowboards
Excerpt: Deemed the ultimate freeriding machine, the Timeless is Ride's undaunted model.

Atomic Hatchet Snowboard - 2006 BCS from Backcountry.com
Excerpt: The solid freestyle performance of the Hatchet Snowboard has made it the best-selling snowboard in the Atomic line worldwide.

So freeride boards are usually stiffer and directional. While freestyle boards are usually more flexible and either true twin or directional twin. This is not an absolute but a good generalization.

Explanation of true twin, dir twin and directional.
For snowboards what does "true twin" mean? Is it the same as dual directional? - Yahoo! Answers

2) When researching/learning how to ride your board you need to look at your weight, ability, stance and shoe size. There are probably other factors I'm missing but this should give you a start.
For example, I currently weight 180 (but float between 180 and 165), Intermediate skill, my stance varies (on conditions, terrain and board) and wear size 9 Burton Sabbath boots. On my 155 NS SL; I ride duck 18, -15 with a 22.5 stance width. On my old 162 Morrow Blaze; I ride forward 21, 12 with a 20.0 stance.

3) Here is a link to help find your stance.
SNOWBOARD STANCE*-*360Guide

Hope this helps - Nito
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote