How should I detune my Skate Banana (Reverse Camber, Magnetraction)? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default How should I detune my Skate Banana (Reverse Camber, Magnetraction)?

I heard that you can detune the whole edge and the magnetraction will still give you decent edge hold. To what extent is this noticeably true?

I live on the ice coast so I still would want the best edge hold if I can so I was just thinking of detuning the tip and tail. Now since the board isn’t a camber board, I have been stumped as to what’s the best approach. The way I was thinking of doing it is like this…

When I put my board on edge on the table about 45-degrees-tilt and press the board down, I see the 7 points of the magnetraction edge touch the table. I was thinking of detuning the part where points 1 and 7 just come off the table (i.e. toward the tip and toward the tail). What I figure is that if I was in a “45-degree-tilt”, I will still have sharp edges. Does this seem reasonable? Or should I increase/decrease the tilt…which will move the detune-start-point toward/away from the tip/tail respectively.

Also, the other thing I was thinking of is that if the magnetration works real good, should I just detune points 1 and 7 completely? Are 5 “inner points of sharp contact” good enough? I also want to get better at buttering so is this a good idea? How much edge grip will I sacrifice (losing the sharp outermost points of contact) and will this actually help buttering on a reverse camber board?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-09-2011 at 06:39 AM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you don't have a metal edge all-around, you don't need to do anything for butters. If Ice is a concern, I'd be weary about detuning at all. Are edges really getting in your way while jibbing or not?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I got a riders choice BTX and mainly ride park/jib and I just let my edges dull over time. I wouldn't worry too much about detuning.
SkylineGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have the TRS c2 btx, and I was curious about this as well. I live in Michigan (I hate it here).

I sharpened the entire edge on both sides for most of the year and I noticed the back catching a little bit, nothing that sent me off course, but annoying as hell considering my Machete last year never exhibited this behavior.

SO what I did last Saturday was detuned from the end of my binding out to the nose, end of my other binding out to the tail. Both sides. Love it. Maybe its just in my head, I couldn't care less. But I'm not catching anything and I honestly feel like I have more control. Board isn't sliding at all either. I left my inside (between the bindings) as sharp as possible.

Hope that helps.
Odine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're detuning for butters and jibs alone it's a bad idea. I also ride a fresh 2011 banana and get occasional trouble with these, but not enough to matter. To make things better I am in the ice coast too, I ride in the pocconos. What helps me is when tuning your board, you should make it so you have a "beasal" angle i believe it's called. This raises your edges about 2 degrees off ground so you don't snag it on rails or when doing butters. You still get INCREDIBLE edge hold on the ice and man made, and shouldn't be catchy on features.

Look at the stickied videos for board mantinence, watch the ones about your beasal.

Tips they give in the video for doing this are-
*these only apply when using just a file*
1. Get some electrical tape (best tape for this)
2. Wrap it around about an inch from the side not being used
3. 6-8 passes around should be good, you could do 1 more (loose control but gain the less catchyness)
4. Sharped like you normally would

Hope this helped, it's what I use for my Banana and I ski in eastern Pennsylvania so it's icy. I rarely get snagged when jibbing, but like 1 out of 50 times i'll get a little catch.

Edit: This comment isn't really answering your question so I apologize. It's just an easier alternative than detuning, especially in our region.

Last edited by seanboobs; 02-09-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Left our details.
seanboobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I haven’t really done rails much, but I might start getting into it a bit here and there. I’m going to work on buttering first for the most part though. And the other part of my riding will involve jumps and spinning in jumps.

I mean, I do feel the skate banana is more forgiving and easier to ground spin and doesn’t catch that much in doing so, but this is the first RC board I have so I wasn’t sure if it can be made “even better”.

As far as edge BEVEL…I measured my board and it seems to already have like a 4 degree base bevel as shipped.

I also have a bevel tool myself and have done bevels for my cambered boards and feel it makes a pretty noticeable difference, you are correct.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote