suggestions for girl setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default suggestions for girl setup

hey guys, just started about 2 months and now my girlfriend wants to get started, would anybody be able to suggest a good but fair price setup. boots/board/bindings

or maybe somebody here is willing to sell thiers for a fair price
1aSTIg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1aSTIg1 View Post
hey guys, just started about 2 months and now my girlfriend wants to get started, would anybody be able to suggest a good but fair price setup. boots/board/bindings

or maybe somebody here is willing to sell thiers for a fair price

It's a pretty steep investment to 'try'. Most people, I mean MOST people don't keep at snowboarding from what I've seen. The guy that dragged my out last year, raved about snowboarding and was pumped to go ALOT late last year. We didn't get many days in because it was the end of the season but I was seriously hooked at that point. This year, I go as much as I possibly can, usually ALONE. This year, he hasn't gone ONCE. I'm pretty sure he will just let the board rot in his basement. All that money wasted! For the amount he has gone for the price of the equipment, he would have saved a TON of money just renting the first year.

Best to have her rent during the peak season, see if she likes it, make sure she gets a proper length board and proper stance setup for newbs, and then in the off season pickup a previous year clearance board, some cheap bindings and some good quality, good fitting boots (she may have to try on many pairs until she is sure).
Or, if she has the cash and HATES waiting for rentals, then at least have her go a few times on rentals and in the meantime, start the shopping research.

I picked up my rossi board for 140 shipped, including bindings for $40. 2009's, free shipping , new, and purchased in July online from Evo. The bindings were Morrow, cheap but got better ratings than 150-200 bindings, so I went for it.

Not sure how deals will pan out in the future. Seems like the minimal board prices are up another 100 suddenly, while better boards are even more money!

Evo has a rossi on sale there now, not sure what size she would need. IMO dont worry about getting a board that says 'beginner' read the specs on it and decide if it is right for her too Rossignol Justice Rocker Snowboard - Women's 2010 | evo outlet
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the info bro
1aSTIg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with renting, a lot of people I've talked to have only "tried" snowboarding once or twice and they give up because it's too hard. Even a cheap setup, couple hundred bucks, could be a complete waste if she hates it or doesn't want to continue. I'd suggest that if she does rent, have her rent a demo board, not the super heavy, no-control plank boards they give to rank beginners. It usually costs more to rent a demo board, and you have to lie about your ability, but at least then she'll be riding a board that's a step up from the basic rental (think rental ice skates, a rental snowboard is about the same).
threejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes, have her rent a few times. Then if she decides to stick with it, she can purchase gear. BUT if she is going to buy, March is the best month to do so. Most gear will be on sale and you'll still have a lot of options.

For bindings, I really like the Ride VXn for it's price range. Also check out the Union Trilogy or Milan, Rome Madison, Burton Lexa or Escapade. Bindings seem to last a long time after the sales, so you should be able to get some top shelf bindings for $150 or less.

Tell us a little more about her and we can provide suggestions: height, weight, shoe size, athleticism....
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

If your looking for cheap and decent stuff the company 5150 does alot of cheap stuff. They have some reverse camber boards on the market this year also. I know there are several companies that make boards and stuff for a fairly low price tag. Also. If your looking to spend a good amount id go for either a ride or burton board with burton lexa bindings. One of my friends has lexas and loves them. The burton scribe binding is really nice as well.
agfracing is offline   Reply With Quote