NS's STS Pretensioned Fiberglass - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default NS's STS Pretensioned Fiberglass

From Never Summer's website:
Quote:
STS Pretensioned Fiberglass
The world’s best snowboard fiberglass, period. Our STS ADVANCED fiberglass is a pre-hardened, pre-tensioned, layered laminate that has added elastomer stringers between the 0 degree and 90 degree glass fibers the length of the effective edge. This produces a stronger bond between the individual glass laminates giving our snowboard unmatched strength, edge hold and performance.
While the composition of the laminate is clear enough, can someone explain what they mean by pre-tensioned and pre-hardened? For that matter, what does the STS stand for? Most of their tech buzzwords seem to be backed by decent basic explanations, but I found this one piqued my curiosity. I do have some limited background in composites, mostly from a boat repair and construction perspective, but it has been a few years. I'm speculating perhaps this means the top and bottom laminates are pressed/molded and at least partially cured separately, then bonded to the core later? Or are the individual layers of glass kept under tension during layup?
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd imagine an email to them asking your questions will get you the best, most dead on accurate response. As to what it means, and how they go about building it into thier boards.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pretensioned or precured fiberglass is sheet of fiberglass that has already been pulled tight and heat pressed with epoxy before it goes into the board. The tension in the fiberglass acts as a spring and gives you more pop.

Last edited by Qball; 02-09-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by little devil View Post
I'd imagine an email to them asking your questions will get you the best, most dead on accurate response. As to what it means, and how they go about building it into thier boards.
Thanks, I probably will give that a try just to see what detail they can provide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
Pretensioned or precured fiberglass is sheet of fiberglass that has already been pulled tight and heat pressed with epoxy before it goes into the board. The tension in the fiberglass acts as a spring and gives you more pop.
Okay, that sounds similar to what I was guessing. So "pretensioned" references the tension induced by the difference in profile of the previously cured laminates from that of the final overall board. This makes sense. I just wanted to confirm I wasn't way off base with my interpretation since I couldn't find a more detailed explanation.

Thank you both for the replies!
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote