Burton Vapor Boards...grrr.... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejane View Post
Sorry, that was actually two posts, and the "no soul" comment wasn't mine. I LOVE my board, even if it's a bitch to ride.

MY board is okay, hubby's is the one with the actual metal edge cracks. We both have about 90 days (so far) on these boards. Where the edge cracks are on his board, the BOTTOM sheet is starting to bubble and delaminate. No one up here has any experience with the Vapor-style boards and so they're nervous to fix it. The nice part is I can find newer year 157cm Vapors all day long...it's just if MINE ever blows out, I'm out of luck, as no one seems to sell them.

I kinda figured 5cm would make a difference; hubby wants me to try out his 157 Custom X but I was thinking dayum, that's about...what? Three inches? *shrugs* Oh well.
Ahh, yeah read to fast about the no soul comment.

If it is your base that is having issues, might be good to post pictures up. Not really certain what you mean by the base delaminating. Is the base material separating around the broken edge? I have dented my edges before on trees, rocks etc and had the base bubble up. I just take an exacto to the bubble and make the base material flush again - if it is affecting my riding.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNOW View Post
Ahh, yeah read to fast about the no soul comment.

If it is your base that is having issues, might be good to post pictures up. Not really certain what you mean by the base delaminating. Is the base material separating around the broken edge? I have dented my edges before on trees, rocks etc and had the base bubble up. I just take an exacto to the bubble and make the base material flush again - if it is affecting my riding.
The board's up at the condo. The actual metal edge (the one they sharpen & grind) is what has two cracks in it, one right behind his right heel (he's goofy) and one near his left heel. The base material directly next to the edges is starting to bubble up. He says he can tell when he's riding back edge, particularly over hardpack and ice. I guess it feels loose.

I'll tell him about the exacto trick. I was wondering...maybe the ride shop can clean out the bubble and fill it with p-tex? They've already filled a gouge he had in the middle of the board. Then again, if there's a crack in the metal, water is going to get in whether there's p-tex or not.

I've already found his next board, now just have to man up and pay the money for it. I'd rather he get a new board now before the old one breaks completely, because we board every weekend!
threejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I've already found his next board, now just have to man up and pay the money for it. I'd rather he get a new board now before the old one breaks completely, because we board every weekend!
Hope its not another vapor! Or burton for that matter...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why don't you look into other boards and companies? You said that this is only the second board you've ridden if I am understanding you correctly. Why not expand your horizons, get a cheaper board, try out some new tech?

If you are looking for something stiff and fast, Lib Tech has their Banan Magic in 152 or TRS in 148.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
Why don't you look into other boards and companies? You said that this is only the second board you've ridden if I am understanding you correctly. Why not expand your horizons, get a cheaper board, try out some new tech?

If you are looking for something stiff and fast, Lib Tech has their Banan Magic in 152 or TRS in 148.
Probably because I'm a wuss and I'm afraid if I get a new board, I'll be riding it and thinking, "Well, it doesn't turn as well as the Vapor", or "It's not as poppy as the Vapor"...the main thing that a lot of people run into on this board...they buy one thinking it will be great, then it turns into a bitch. I suppose I could expand my horizons, just takes a (major) leap of faith to do so...
threejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
they buy one thinking it will be great, then it turns into a bitch.
Maybe that's what the Vapor is? You'll never know if you don't try something different. You could by 2 high level boards for the price of a Vapor anyways...

Just my 2 cents. It's your money and your board to ride, so its your decision.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Probably because I'm a wuss and I'm afraid if I get a new board, I'll be riding it and thinking, "Well, it doesn't turn as well as the Vapor", or "It's not as poppy as the Vapor"...the main thing that a lot of people run into on this board...they buy one thinking it will be great, then it turns into a bitch. I suppose I could expand my horizons, just takes a (major) leap of faith to do so...
Why not demo a board? Most people who have owned a vapor seem to like other boards they try better, unless they just ride pipe.
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

At 130 you can ride a 155 with ease. When I was younger at around 120 I rode a 155 just fine, it is no problem. I was tall for my weight when I first started snowboarding as a young buck and bought a bigger board. The guy at the shop said, "Just make sure it is between your chin and nose." I didn't know any better so I picked it up. Long story short, yes you'll be fine.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-11-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hey ThreeJane... I highly suggest you try a Burton Feelgood if you can. It comes in a regular camber version to so you don't have to get used to the Flying V one.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, if i don't spend over a 1000 on a board I don't feel confident about it as well. After all its one of the highest price boards, it must be the BEST eh!