Burton Vapor Boards...grrr.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Vapor Boards...grrr....

Howdy, I ride a Burton Vapor 150cm, and it's got a whole lotta hours on it (spend usually 50-60 days on the mountain). So I start looking at buying a new one, and the smallest Vapor NOW is 155cm. How much difference would that cause in my riding? I'm female, 5'7, 130 pounds, size 8.5 (men's) boot. Burton says to send them an email about the sizing, but they also admitted that they're "done up until 2012", meaning if they DID deign to make a smaller board, I'd have to wait several years for it.

5cm difference will matter much, given my height and weight?

Side note: Hubby rides a Vapor also (157cm) and he's got two cracks in the back rail by his feet. He's never landed on a knuckle or tacoed his board, so he has no clue how they got there. The fiberglass is starting to delaminate and Burton was absolutely no help in figuring out to have it repaired. Naturally, their solution was "buy another board". But dang, it's only got about 90 days on it and the rail's cracking? Not cool for an expensive board like that. Any ideas on how to fix it?
threejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

From what I've seen/heard of the Vapor they are not worth the money and do not last. I rode my friend's for a few runs and the best way I can describe it is, sure it's light but it lacks something? It lacks a soul if that makes any sense.

I recommend taking this opportunity to try something new!
Chaos Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like the Vapor, although it's bloody unforgiving, particularly in turns. I spent half a season (about 20 days) on a Jeenyus, trying to learn how to ride, and then spent an entire season learning on the Vapor instead, so I'm not used to any other kind of board! Putting it up against hubby's Custom X, the weight differential is INSANE. I can't even get a Custom X, they don't make them in 150 either. I hate considering getting a new board and not knowing anything about it, but if the performance with hubby's board is any indicator, then my board is going to start falling apart soon too. Grrr....
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
From what I've seen/heard of the Vapor they are not worth the money and do not last. I rode my friend's for a few runs and the best way I can describe it is, sure it's light but it lacks something? It lacks a soul if that makes any sense.

I recommend taking this opportunity to try something new!

/10char
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Why are you not thinking about women's boards?

Burton have the women's equivalent of a Custom X, I think. There are certainly at least a couple of top end Burton boards designed for women. Then there's also Nitro, K2, Rome, Lib Tech, Roxy, etc. - respectable companies that make women's boards.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

If I was a chick I'd ride the Roxy Eminence board.

Looks sick, has C2 and a sintered base.
Union Force bindings
Burton Grail boots
Flat4Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraveler View Post
Why are you not thinking about women's boards?

Burton have the women's equivalent of a Custom X, I think. There are certainly at least a couple of top end Burton boards designed for women. Then there's also Nitro, K2, Rome, Lib Tech, Roxy, etc. - respectable companies that make women's boards.
Mainly because women's boards are too narrow in the waist for me; I've got really big feet (shoe size is women's 10). I had a lot of heel & toe with my original Jeenyus board because it was too narrow & I didn't know anything about waist width back then. Most of my gear is men's, heck ALL of it is men's gear except my helmet. Men's stuff seems to be made better.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejane View Post
Howdy, I ride a Burton Vapor 150cm, and it's got a whole lotta hours on it (spend usually 50-60 days on the mountain). So I start looking at buying a new one, and the smallest Vapor NOW is 155cm. How much difference would that cause in my riding? I'm female, 5'7, 130 pounds, size 8.5 (men's) boot. Burton says to send them an email about the sizing, but they also admitted that they're "done up until 2012", meaning if they DID deign to make a smaller board, I'd have to wait several years for it.

5cm difference will matter much, given my height and weight?

Side note: Hubby rides a Vapor also (157cm) and he's got two cracks in the back rail by his feet. He's never landed on a knuckle or tacoed his board, so he has no clue how they got there. The fiberglass is starting to delaminate and Burton was absolutely no help in figuring out to have it repaired. Naturally, their solution was "buy another board". But dang, it's only got about 90 days on it and the rail's cracking? Not cool for an expensive board like that. Any ideas on how to fix it?
If you only have 60 days max on your board you ought to be able to, at minimum, get another 60. Confused as to the exact reason you want to buy another of the same board which you suggest has no soul though? 5cm will make a difference.

If top sheet is delaminating a shop can help you out. If your effective edge is actually fractured then your are basically fucked, I have seen people attempt to repair that sort of thing, but it usually ends up blowing out shortly after. Depends on how hard you ride the board too.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNOW View Post
If you only have 60 days max on your board you ought to be able to, at minimum, get another 60. Confused as to the exact reason you want to buy another of the same board which you suggest has no soul though? 5cm will make a difference.

If top sheet is delaminating a shop can help you out. If your effective edge is actually fractured then your are basically fucked, I have seen people attempt to repair that sort of thing, but it usually ends up blowing out shortly after. Depends on how hard you ride the board too.

Sorry, that was actually two posts, and the "no soul" comment wasn't mine. I LOVE my board, even if it's a bitch to ride.

MY board is okay, hubby's is the one with the actual metal edge cracks. We both have about 90 days (so far) on these boards. Where the edge cracks are on his board, the BOTTOM sheet is starting to bubble and delaminate. No one up here has any experience with the Vapor-style boards and so they're nervous to fix it. The nice part is I can find newer year 157cm Vapors all day long...it's just if MINE ever blows out, I'm out of luck, as no one seems to sell them.

I kinda figured 5cm would make a difference; hubby wants me to try out his 157 Custom X but I was thinking dayum, that's about...what? Three inches? *shrugs* Oh well.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

you could just keep riding the vapor until something actually does break. It isn't like you are going to find a new replacement vapor any time soon since they aren't making your size any more.
If you like the board and it is still working why bother looking for something that isn't being made right now.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote