New "Fun" Board: Burton Custom Flying V - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New "Fun" Board: Burton Custom Flying V

Looking to add a second board to the fold after this season... I currently ride a Custom X 162W with C60 bindings... absolutely love the setup.

Would like something where I can play around a little more that's shorter, softer, and with rocker. Leaning towards Custom Flying-V 160 cm with Cartel bindings.

Anyone have an opinion on this matter? I'm 6'2" and 190 pounds. Seems like a pretty good set up for a secondary/fun board.

thanks.
minman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

I demoed several Burton boards last weekend, including the CustomX 160 and the Custom FlyingV 160. The Custom FlyingV 160 was a nice, stable ride but if you're looking for something fun that is shorter, softer and with rocker you might want to check out the Hero. I rode a 158 Hero with Mission bindings and it was a very fun ride. I also liked the Custom Flying V Squeezebox in a 158 with Prophecy bindings, noticeably more pop than the regular Flying V.

I normally ride Cartels and C02 bindings, I really liked both the Missions and the Prophecies that I demoed.

I am 6' and 195 lbs with size 12 boots, I also tried the Custom Flying V in a 158W but preferred the regular width. No problems with toe drag.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome reply! Really great insight I appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm biased so take this with a grain of salt, but I think flying V sucks unless your conditions are nice. Any board I buy, no matter how playful, has to be able to handle shit days. Don't be afraid to try other companies.

In terms of a RC snowboard, I was impressed with never summer when at slow speeds it felt skatey and at high speeds it felt more like a cambered deck. Flying V, for whatever reason, did not feel like that to me. Demo a Never Summer EVO if you get the chance. GREAT board. If you want to stick with Burton, going from a Custom X to a Hero could either be great fun, or really piss you off. In that case, a flying V would be a better transition I suppose.

Your best bet is to demo any of the boards you are interested in. I wish I lived close enough to a demo center. Otherwise I'd never buy a board without trying it first.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're really looking for something soft and playful I didn't feel that the step from Custom X to Custom Flying V enough to get me there. If I could only have one Burton board it would probably be the Custom Flying V but since you have the Custom X and are looking for something to have fun on you should really look at the Hero or another park-specific board.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you want flying-V, check out the Sherlock. The Custom seems stiffer to me and the Sherlock is cheaper. I have the Cartels on mine. I also have a 2010 Custom V-Rocker that tends to stay at home now as most days it is the Sherlock for me.
t-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

how about a Nug? (assuming you can find one most everyone i've talked to that has tried one loves and raves about it...
MI_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Let me completely agree with what phile00 says, I demo'd the Evo and Flying V just last weekend and had the exact same experience. Flying V was pretty good at speed (very close to the Evo) but in every other scenario the Evo was MUCH better. I bought the Evo. I was truly amazed how much it felt like a cambered deck at speed. Flying V just felt too different for my tastes. Definitely try before you buy, unless you get a great deal.

2010 Arbor Element
2010 Rome Targa
2011 NS Evo
2011 Rome 390 Boss
2009 Salomon F22
mwl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post
Let me completely agree with what phile00 says, I demo'd the Evo and Flying V just last weekend and had the exact same experience. Flying V was pretty good at speed (very close to the Evo) but in every other scenario the Evo was MUCH better. I bought the Evo. I was truly amazed how much it felt like a cambered deck at speed. Flying V just felt too different for my tastes. Definitely try before you buy, unless you get a great deal.
Comparing the Evo to a Custom Flying-V is like comparing a coupe to a sedan.

Evo: True Twin, just under mid flex... 4/10 on my own scale

Custom Fly-V: Directional Twin, just over mid flex... 5.5/10 on my scale.

The Evo better compares to the Burton Hero. The NS SL compares better to the Custom. The Custom Flying-V in my opinion is a much better board at speed due to more dampening and stiffness. But like I said, this comparison doesn't even make sense since that's not what the Evo was designed for.

If you want playfulness while still having good stability and want a NeverSummer, get the SL. If you rather have more playfulness and want a true twin and don't mind a little loss in stability, get the Evo.

The Evo is an awesome butter board and I'm sure a great jibstick. Taking it down steep and fast runs... you're going to get chatter. If that's what you do, look at Never Summer's damper boards like the SL and Heritage.