Top sheet delam? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Top sheet delam?

I ordered my first brand new personally owned board last week, got it off ebay for a good deal. Well I opened it up tonight and there is a bit of what I can only describe as a bubbling effect at the tip, like air trapped between the top sheet and p-tex or w/e the 2nd layer is made of. The board is a 2011 Banana Magic if it makes any difference. Anyways... at the tip there are 2 spots where I can see these tiny little gaps that are almost unnoticeable. You can clearly see the air bubble on the top sheet when within a foot or so of the tip.

Problem is, no paperwork with the board so I can't register it with mervin to just send her in, so I contacted the e-bay seller to see what he can come up with. The board mounting holes look like they've never been touched, edges are sharp, base has no gouges etc, everything except that air/delam leads me to believe that the board is new as the auction stated. Anyways, if nothing else is it just cosmetic or will that lead to water damage etc? I'm supposed to go see my bro in Seattle in a few weeks and want to get it resolved by then so I can board on my own stick.
Chance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bubbles and gaps are probably just factory defects, my friends GNU has the same. If you bought it off ebay, you don't have a warranty. You probably won't notice the bubble, but might want to use epoxy and a clamp on those gaps to stop them getting bigger and letting snow in.
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's just a typical mervin problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yea I just remembered reading that before about the ebay/warranty void with mervin products. Blah, even if its cosmetic it bothers me being my first new board. Ahh well I guess its time to go get some epoxy and suck it up.

I had heard about the mervin problem with the delam, but damn... didn't think it would be like that brand new. As long as it doesn't have any effect on the lifespan of the board, I'll deal.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hard to tell from the post, but are the "bubbles" open, i.e. will snow be able to get in there? If they are sealed but under the topsheet I wouldnt give a fuck.
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
Hard to tell from the post, but are the "bubbles" open, i.e. will snow be able to get in there? If they are sealed but under the topsheet I wouldnt give a fuck.
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, but the bubbles don't have holes in them or anything, but they meet up with the two little gaps. It's like one continuous bubble at the tip with two small gaps that I will need to epoxy to keep snow out of it seems.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How much did you get that board for anyways?

I'm dreaming about getting one, but at $700 it doesn't look likely.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
How much did you get that board for anyways?

I'm dreaming about getting one, but at $700 it doesn't look likely.
550, so i jumped on it. I'm just gonna grab some epoxy and seal her off. I only get to ride like 3 weeks a year anyways, I was just tired of the horid rentals and bindings that never matched up to me.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Found these nose and tail protectors while dorking around on ebay, they'll make your board look like a shitty rossi rental, but they'll also hopefully save the nose and tail Snowboard Edge / Tip / Nose / Tail Protector Guard - eBay (item 330524548365 end time Feb-27-11 13:55:58 PST)
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Found these nose and tail protectors while dorking around on ebay, they'll make your board look like a shitty rossi rental, but they'll also hopefully save the nose and tail Snowboard Edge / Tip / Nose / Tail Protector Guard - eBay (item 330524548365 end time Feb-27-11 13:55:58 PST)
Yea I'm not to keen on the thought of drilling my board, so I was thinking of these, Snowboard nose guard in single or twin packs. Protect your board from dings and scratches. same idea but adhesive, I'm sure the adhesive will only last a couple of seasons, but meh.