Why I am done with Rocker and going back to Camber - Page 11 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #101 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
I think I touched a nerve. Ha
The only searching I did was in this post. Look to the right of the Dave Downing video.
Interesting, there are like 5-7 videos of guys all saying they prefer camber, and take tiny little subtle digs at beginners on rockers (then saying, 'but that's ok')

Bob Klein talks about Camber and his fav Snowboards on Vimeo this guy says most pros he knows likes camber. Rocker is more for consumers. Bob Klein.

Hey Im a beginner, maybe I need a rocker

Im torn between bateleon et and ns sL
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #102 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I have absolutely no idea whether any pro snowboarders ride boards that are disguised to look like other boards. It would not surprise me if that were the case, however, because in other sports there is often a difference between the equipment that a star athlete endorses and that which he actually uses. For example, it's not uncommon for a pro tennis player to use a custom-made racket that is dressed up to look like the mass-market model that the pro endorses. These are called "paint jobs." Oddly, though, sometimes the custom rackets are old-fashioned models with less tech than the endorsed models. Pros often just like what they're used to.

Either way, the equipment choices of professionals should be largely irrelevant to most riders, except on a visceral, "Cool -- I'm a Burton guy too!" level. Unless you ride with the exact same capabilities and in the exact same conditions as a pro, there's no reason his choice of board, or of camber configuration, should really influence you. And for all you know, he may just be riding the same thing he's ridden for the last 10 years because that's the path of least resistance.
All true but if you're going to say you now for a fact they're riding a special custom version of a board disguised with the same graphics as the production model, I expect you to be able to at least attempt to back that up. Otherwise you're just spouting wide claims you just made up to try and make a point.

They could be riding production boards. They could be riding custom boards. Ive yet to see proof of either argument or even an ATTEMPT at some form of evidence.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #103 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What nerve? Oh, you're also one of those people huh? The type that thinks every non-agreeing post on the Internet automatically means... OMG WTF HE'S MAD ROFLMAO!

Truth of the matter is, I'm not out snowboarding right now so I'm here having a fun little debate with plenty of smiles abound.

You've went rampant with personal insults against all rocker riders and further insult me and others with your condescending "math doesn't lie" type remarks.

I'm just here to point out the many flaws in your views and the many fallacies abound in your arguments. You use hear-say and assumptions with little fact to back it up. You pick parts of my posts and ignore the rest to misconstrue my entire point. My carbon rodding post being a prime example of that. And the evidence you do present, you don't even comprehend yourself. Just like you did with my posts, you did with Mr Jones' video by misconstruing his commentary.

Keep living in your paranoid world where every company is just pitching marketing gimmicks without any foundation to stand upon. Keep assuming that rocker riders are noobs and none are better than you. Keep on spouting your so-called facts because we all obviously believe you. And keep on thinking that I'm typing this out of anger or a touched nerve (that's what she said?).

In the end, I'm going to ride mainly rocker hybrids while my cambered deck waits patiently for early/late-season crud. Maybe I am a noob for this. To that I say... SO WHAT? At least I'm a noob having fun and not an "expert" who thinks the marketing world is out to get him.

By the way, the second you provide valid evidence showing your correctness, I will gladly concede and admit fault. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong around here. And therein lies the difference between us my friend. I know I'm not always right and have 0 problems admitting my wrongs.
Dear sir, quit feeding the troll. They go away when you don't feed them.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #104 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooz View Post
Dear sir, quit feeding the troll. They go away when you don't feed them.
But then, what fun would that be?

Really off-topic, but... Dammit if I don't miss your old avatar Mooz
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #105 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
what Dave Downing is talking about in the video I posted is not preference, it is design.

Like a small heavy rockered surfboard, MOST rockered snowboards are slow down the line, but the benefit is more turns (surfy feel). For people with less vert, I guess more turns is better?
IMO yes, more turns is better with less vert in pow. Some of us live in shitty areas with glorified hills.

But I have a question for you regarding speed, since it seems you may have conceded that "MOST" not all rockered snowboards are slow down the line. If you have three decks identical in every way (size, shape, sidecut, setback) with three identical riders, one was cambered, one was rockered, one was rocker/camber (like NS)... which deck would be fastest down the line in your estimation?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #106 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Interesting, there are like 5-7 videos of guys all saying they prefer camber, and take tiny little subtle digs at beginners on rockers (then saying, 'but that's ok')

Bob Klein talks about Camber and his fav Snowboards on Vimeo this guy says most pros he knows likes camber. Rocker is more for consumers. Bob Klein.

Hey Im a beginner, maybe I need a rocker

Im torn between bateleon et and ns sL
For people that do not know of Bob Klein, he is, and has been, an agent/manager for many pro snowboarders. He is one of the founders of modern snowboarding in Tahoe.

It is the same with Dave Downing, not many know who he is. He is the record holder for most video parts in Standard Films.

Last edited by Sick-Pow; 02-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #107 (permalink)
Banned

[QUOTE=jdang307;374306]Interesting, there are like 5-7 videos of guys all saying they prefer camber, and take tiny little subtle digs at beginners on rockers (then saying, 'but that's ok')

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile00 View Post
IMO yes, more turns is better with less vert in pow. Some of us live in shitty areas with glorified hills.

But I have a question for you regarding speed, since it seems you may have conceded that "MOST" not all rockered snowboards are slow down the line. If you have three decks identical in every way (size, shape, sidecut, setback) with three identical riders, one was cambered, one was rockered, one was rocker/camber (like NS)... which deck would be fastest down the line in your estimation?
I will preface that sidecut and length is "better" gauge of speed and how fast down the line one will go.

In deep pow, cambered even if you compared 2 different level riders, seen it happen many a time.

In mixed conditions, it does not matter, all rider.

always, 90% rider, 10% board. In really deep pow, the board makes a huge deal. Camber always will win, all things being equal.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
But then, what fun would that be?

Really off-topic, but... Dammit if I don't miss your old avatar Mooz
This is fun, you guys call me a troll and I insinuate that Leo is a fag.

Back on topic.
Do think that an RC or alt camber board with the exact same construction(core, fiberglass, carbon) has more pop than a regular camber board?
Keep in mind “exact same construction”.
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #109 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
As far as the people complaining about rocker, reverse camber, hybrid sounds like you guys just can't ride to begin with. But different strokes for different folks ride what you like but at least have some valid points.
exactly what i was thinking. if you cant ride, you cant ride and no amount of rocker, camber, btx, c2, robsuxdonkeyballs, whatever, is going to save you. but again, ride what you like.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #110 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
This is fun, you guys call me a troll and I insinuate that Leo is a fag.

Back on topic.
Do think that an RC or alt camber board with the exact same construction(core, fiberglass, carbon) has more pop than a regular camber board?
Keep in mind “exact same construction”.
Nope, but you know my opinion. Camber always has more pop. Some of the new Capita boards really are fun and pop off the tail and nose nicely.

Those Never Summer boards are basically flat anyways and made for little short riders who weigh under 155.

I miss the days of old Never Summer cambered rocketships.