Why I am done with Rocker and going back to Camber - Page 16 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #151 (permalink)

are the burton custom boards rocker or camber?

Last edited by jayjames; 02-12-2011 at 07:34 AM.
jayjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I will actually go one step farther and say from experience as an instructor, that a rocker board is an ideal board for a student to learn on. Now, that does NOT mean that a rocker board is a "beginner board" The performance ability of rockers makes them a superior board for beginners and advanced riders alike.

I used to hold this outdated, opinion that a rocker allows bad habits to develop. It does not! All of our rental boards are rocker hybrid and the student learns the exact, identical techniques to make turns and position their bodies for the best, most efficient riding. Anyone who thinks that a rocker make you invincible to sloppy riding has never had a violent edge catch on a rocker...I just had one the other night in a switch carving clinic... Every bad thing that happens as a result of poor riding habits on a cambered board, happens on a rocker too if the rider does not use good or "proper" technique.

What rocker does do though is it helps reduce a lot of slams from poor technique in new riders. In any first time class of say 10 people. we feel lucky if 3 of them come back for either another lesson or become snowboarders in general. The number one complaint new riders have is the pain from falling their first few days. If a rocker board makes learning, safer, less frustrating and more fun, then it serving the snowboarding industry in ways that are hard to calculate.

I absolutely support having the new rider learning on a rocker for reasons of fun, safety and ease of progression. Bad habits will show up on any board and decent instruction will detect that and correct it early on regardless of the board being ridden so why not make it easier on the student? I think a rider should learn on a rocker and when they become a high intermediate ride a little bit on a camber to refine their skills farther.

From a personal standpoint, I will take a rocker hybrid over a camber in every condition except hard carving on very firm or icy conditions. Even having said that, I carved the shit out the Angus on bullet proof all week. The Amptech rocker/camber/rocker has become may favorite combination of rocker and camber for all conditions that I deal with in the PNW.

In this discussion / argument / shitstorm of a thread about what is better, I did not see much mention about what I would consider the MOST important aspect of snowboarding and that is FUN. Regardless of the techno-babble and geek-speak, Rocker boards are just plain FUN in and out of the park....
That's my main belief, the fact that it reduces an extra level of fear and allows the rider to be more confident and try new things, makes it an overall funner tech.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #153 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I will actually go one step farther I did not see much mention about what I would consider the MOST important aspect of snowboarding and that is FUN. Regardless of the techno-babble and geek-speak, Rocker boards are just plain FUN in and out of the park....
Nice blog.

After about 10 steps further, you forgot to read my first post......My hole point is fun numbnuts.

AASI, did you pass level 2 yet? They are getting almost as bad as skiers now I have heard.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #154 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I will actually go one step farther and say from experience as an instructor, that a rocker board is an ideal board for a student to learn on. Now, that does NOT mean that a rocker board is a "beginner board" The performance ability of rockers makes them a superior board for beginners and advanced riders alike.

I used to hold this outdated, opinion that a rocker allows bad habits to develop. It does not! All of our rental boards are rocker hybrid and the student learns the exact, identical techniques to make turns and position their bodies for the best, most efficient riding. Anyone who thinks that a rocker make you invincible to sloppy riding has never had a violent edge catch on a rocker...I just had one the other night in a switch carving clinic... Every bad thing that happens as a result of poor riding habits on a cambered board, happens on a rocker too if the rider does not use good or "proper" technique.

What rocker does do though is it helps reduce a lot of slams from poor technique in new riders. In any first time class of say 10 people. we feel lucky if 3 of them come back for either another lesson or become snowboarders in general. The number one complaint new riders have is the pain from falling their first few days. If a rocker board makes learning, safer, less frustrating and more fun, then it serving the snowboarding industry in ways that are hard to calculate.

I absolutely support having the new rider learning on a rocker for reasons of fun, safety and ease of progression. Bad habits will show up on any board and decent instruction will detect that and correct it early on regardless of the board being ridden so why not make it easier on the student? I think a rider should learn on a rocker and when they become a high intermediate ride a little bit on a camber to refine their skills farther.

From a personal standpoint, I will take a rocker hybrid over a camber in every condition except hard carving on very firm or icy conditions. Even having said that, I carved the shit out the Angus on bullet proof all week. The Amptech rocker/camber/rocker has become may favorite combination of rocker and camber for all conditions that I deal with in the PNW.

In this discussion / argument / shitstorm of a thread about what is better, I did not see much mention about what I would consider the MOST important aspect of snowboarding and that is FUN. Regardless of the techno-babble and geek-speak, Rocker boards are just plain FUN in and out of the park....
Have you ridden a TBT bataleon board? What are your thoughts on those? I am an advanced beginner (hey, I don't fall anymore unless I'm trying something new) and looking for my next board. Never Summer, Lib Tech BC2, Bateleon TBT, and that Rossignol tech is now catching my eye. I have no idea what to choose! I am sure I have very bad habits and reading this forum at least lets me know what they are (I'm a big rudder'er). What's a good board that'll hold me even when I progress past being a beginner.
Or do I just pick the best graphics and run with it, because they are all good?
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #155 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I cant believe how reverse camber has kind of split a lot of boarders in too arguing which is better so fucking much. I like what DD said in that video on a page further back, one of his first sentence actually, "I like to snowboard" We are all snowboarding.....
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #156 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The bottom line is ride what you want and let others do the same. Who cares?

This reminds me of the old crumudgeon skiers on their skinny straight skis mumbling about all these "kids" on fat skis.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #157 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I went snowboarding again today it was fun rode a Technine oh what what!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #158 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
This reminds me of the old crumudgeon skiers on their skinny straight skis mumbling about all these "kids" on fat skis.
Best post in this thread?
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #159 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
These damn horseless carriages called automobiles are just marketing gimmicks, I am sticking with what I am comfortable with...
QFT.

Cambered snowboards are much like phonebooks, the only people who still use them are your parents.
(my current ride is cambered btw )
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #160 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the thing that boggles my mind is that several times I've heard or read somebody say that they think camber handles better in pow. I'm not sure if they're confused or just crazy. because after riding banana in the pow I'll never ever go back. i feel the banana handles well on hardpack too. Maybe I just prefer a board that's a little more squirrelly and free flowing. camber feels more rigid and thereby less fun for me
Shocktroop531 is offline   Reply With Quote