Why I am done with Rocker and going back to Camber - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Did he say more control and speed in powder with camber???

Uhhhhh...

Anyway, whatever works for you bro. Have you tried any of the Rossi or Ride hybrids? They have a significant camber zone between the bindings and minimal rocker in the tips. They don't ride like rocker boards at all, yet helps to keep your nose up in the pow.

Just a suggestion.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Pow View Post
Why did I waste all last season riding it? Pushing my front foot around the mountain, wondering why things feel loose up front, and then wash out from behind.

Don't say, "you need to ride C2, s-rocker, or hybrid camber", they are all the same and I have ridden them all. Banana is fun for boxes. Banana is fun for dorking around, low speed in the park, or just bombing without a care in the world. Hybrid has its place, but when I get "serious" I want camber.

But,

You have more control and more speed for "serious" riding when in pow or hardpack.

Pow is a better experience with camber and a little taper (10-20mm).

And that is why I am done with rocker and went back to camber this season....LOVING IT.

thanks Dave Downing for helping me have more fun on camber.
It really is one of the greatest marketing gimmicks of all time.
Anything other than regular camber should be called a beginner board.
RC, hybrid, whatever, is like a set of training wheels.
Riding up the lifts and looking over at the bunny slope all I see are Never Summer, Libs, and Gnu's.
So it is obvious the marketing is working.
Companies like Never Summer and Mervin went into survival mode. The market was flooded with too many boards from previous years.
They created the hype put a couple of the pros on regular camber boards with the same graphics as the RC model and the wildfire started.

Who will be the first company to go back to regular camber in 2013?
Maybe Mervin will call it P2TX and act like they invented positive camber.

If you want to ollie low, feel out of control at high speed, and be the king of butters buy an RC board.
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

I rode camber for 10 years in all conditions including waist deep powder. After riding NS R/C, I'll never go back to camber. I still smoke skiers just the same... and that's what counts right? Not for everyone though, I have buddies who will never change over. But then again they are always the ones telling me to slow down while they get stuck in the pow.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
If you want to ollie low, feel out of control at high speed, and be the king of butters buy an RC board.
Hmm, maybe it is just the rider... I don't get any of that with my board. I track my mph with my iphone and average around 50 and feel extremely stable on my RC. Frankly it doesn't feel any different than my old cambers. I actually placed first in a local boarder cross with my RC (never got first on my cambers). Haha, maybe it just a confidence boost with a new board, maybe the riders weren't on their game as usual... who knows. I'm going to stick with it though. Different strokes.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Riding up the lifts and looking over at the bunny slope all I see are Never Summer, Libs, and Gnu's.
Companies like Never Summer and Mervin went into survival mode. The market was flooded with too many boards from previous years.
They created the hype put a couple of the pros on regular camber boards with the same graphics as the RC model and the wildfire started.

Wow... This really is one of the most gimmicky posts of all time. Let's hope no one falls for it like us blind sheep are falling for any type of Rocker.

I can't wait until BurtonAvenger jumps all over this post. It's going to be comedy gold.

As for my two cents... do you have any idea who Shane McConkey is? He might be a skier, but I suggest you read his story.

And which pro rides a cambered board with the graphics of a rocker one? Let's see your proof. Maybe you are mistaking it for the rocker version. Maybe you just don't realize that a lot of brands have both cambered and rockered versions of the same board.

Let's see, what to pick apart next. Oh yea... Ollie power. Something tells me you never stepped foot on a Ride DH2. You probably will never get on a Never Summer Proto CT. If you think boards like these don't have pop, then you have a serious flaw in your ollie technique.

Speaking of technique... either you have none or you are riding super rockered and soft boards that have no business being on a steep and fast run. I kind of think you lack technique though. I can bomb runs just fine with my Turbo Dream or Proto CT. Don't know why you're having problems Mr. Pro.

What's wrong with rockered boards being more forgiving? If that's the philosophy you live by, then start driving a stick shift car without any power steering or anti-lock brakes. After all, that other BS is just training wheels. Matter of fact, screw the car altogether and walk to your destination. Stop being such a beginner noob driving cars and riding bikes. Real men walk.

By the way, there are still plenty of camber options out there. They will always have a place in snowboarding. As for rocker tech, your post makes it blindingly obvious that you have no experience in the snowboarding industry. Rockers and hybrids aren't going anywhere. In fact, camber is becoming less and less common. Sorry buddy, right now the industry is focusing on building quality price-point boards... not busy working on positive cambered sticks.

You're also going to get a ish-storm from all the jibbers here. I'll let them tell you all the benefits of a rocker on rails.

You need to step outside of your bubble bro. I know you're a little paranoid about the state of marketing and all, but seriously... not everyone is out to get you.

Last edited by Leo; 02-11-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Hmm, maybe it is just the rider... I don't get any of that with my board. I track my mph with my iphone and average around 50 and feel extremely stable on my RC. Frankly it doesn't feel any different than my old cambers. I actually placed first in a local boarder cross with my RC (never got first on my cambers). Haha, maybe it just a confidence boost with a new board, maybe the riders weren't on their game as usual... who knows. I'm going to stick with it though. Different strokes.
You are a beginner boarder cross rider, you were racing against beginners.
Post the link to your results, most sanctioned races have a link to the results of each race.
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Post the link to your results, most sanctioned races have a link to the results of each race.
Why don't you post links to your wild claims of pros riding cambered decks with rocker deck's graphics?

Post links to prove your marketing hype claim.

I would post a few of the millions of links about the benefits of rocker/rocker hybrids, but something tells me your paranoid attitude will call it marketing BS.

What next? Are you going to pull a Nimbus and say female specific snowboards, bindings, and boots are marketing hype?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Been doing it for about five years now. You'd know my riding skills better than me of course.

I'll get right on that to appease you. Anything else?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just curious, what board and rocker tech were you riding?
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Now excuse me while I go ride me "beginner" board.

Last edited by Qball; 02-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote