Would it be worth it for a guy to get a women's snowboard set? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would it be worth it for a guy to get a women's snowboard set?

I'm a pretty small guy. 5'7", 135 pounds, and about feet size 9.5 to 10? I'll need to remeasure them, but I know my normal shoes are a bit big at 10 1/2.

Right now I ride a 2005 Ride Control 146, with LS bindings, and crappy boots that are too big at 11, the latter I got for free. It's a bit small, but it's served me pretty well. But Now I feel it's time for me to move onto a new board, and I have potential buyers for mine, so all is well.

I know everyone likes a different board company, K2, Ride, Unity, Capita, Arbor, Neversummer, Libtech, GNU, Flow, Burton, and oh so many more. And whatever I do end up choosing, will honestly probably have little difference from anything else.

So, can you help me pick out a board? I do Freeride, no park (yet anyway), overall smaller frame, etc. I'm assuming the largest board I should get be a 153, with the optimal range at 150-151.
Poseidenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

with sizing like 10/10.5 it can honestly make a BIG difference, those are often the borderline sizes for M or L bindings for most companies... get one that's snug*TRY IT ON AND WALK AROUND* you dont want your foot sliding forward, and you definitely want to minimize heel lift in that area of the boot.

In addition to that, be sure to take care when sizing bindings with boots as well... like i said. Make sure you KNOW your boot size before choosing a binding, and if at all possible, hit up a shop and strap one on to see the fit.

EDIT: A favorite for during the 2011 season has been a NS Evo for MANY riders freeriding... can take it anywhere on the hill and play. May like that? I'd offer more suggestions but im pressed for time... heading to the hill!
51bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

I Think the size of your feet might play a factor in womens gear. A mens 10 is like a womens 12! May be better to stick to smaller stuff on the mens side. There are plenty of great freestyle boards that come in the size you're looking for.
DoubleT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am roughly your dimensions. Well I got a little heavy (145lb+) but I usually settle in the 130-140 range. In any event, I've been riding a 153. I'm looking into getting a better board and a shorter one, something more playful. 151 is what I'm looking at, NS SL or Bataleon ET or similar.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With those size feet you're still better off with guys gear. You're not too far out from normal. You may need to be more careful about the flex of the board you buy to get what you want since you are light.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
With those size feet you're still better off with guys gear. You're not too far out from normal. You may need to be more careful about the flex of the board you buy to get what you want since you are light.
What flex should I avoid? I am still a fair bit of a snowboard novice.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think maybe the stiffer boards, because with our light weight, a slightly stiff board may become a plank.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What I ment by that is that a board alot of people describe as mid flex will feel stiffer to you.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
What I ment by that is that a board alot of people describe as mid flex will feel stiffer to you.
Gotcha. So I should be aiming for five or below?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't know too much about boards, but I'm 5'8 and 140 pounds. I have size 6.5 feet (fml...) and I was able to get guy stuff for the whole set. You shouldn't have to bother with women's stuff
looboo is offline   Reply With Quote