Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   New Guy looking for advice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/3749-new-guy-looking-advice.html)

madmatt 02-09-2008 01:23 PM

New Guy looking for advice

Hey guys, Im looking into buying my first snowboard here at the tail end of the season to get some good deals. Ive been snowboarding three times now, have the basics down, and enjoy the sport, so Im looking to buy my first board. Im 20 years old, 6'0 and 178 lbs, wear a size 11 street shoe. I like riding normal trails, never done any park type stuff, but may get into it eventually. Just looking to get some binding and board advice, as well as boots. The prices on boards are dropping now because its the end of season, and I was going to pick one up this weekend online, but wanted some advice. Im looking at a Burton Blunt. Ive read about the top sheet cracking, but since Im not doing too much in the park, I didnt think it would be a problem. I will also only be going snowboarding maybe 2-3 times a year, and on the east coast resorts like Winterplace and Sugar Mountain. Also, for bindings I was looking at Burton Freestyle's. Boots, my cousin recommended the Burton Freestyle boots as well, but Im going to get those in person so I can try them on.

Biggest question is, would the Blunt be a good beginner board, and if so, what size should I get for my weight. 155 or 158? Any help is appreciated.

Matt

ahhhhhhhgabe 02-09-2008 01:30 PM

the blunt would be a great beginner board because:

it's not that expensive
it's pretty flexy, so it can be more forgiving of rider error (i.e. a mistake in the timing of weight distribution)a stiffer board would be more likely to toss you about

get the 58, it'll be more stable for your weight

madmatt 02-09-2008 01:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. Let me also mention the Burton Air as well. Burton shows it to be more centered on freeride/trail type stuff, but I dont imagine the blunt would be too terrible at that, right?

ahhhhhhhgabe 02-09-2008 01:34 PM

i've never ridden the air, but the blunt is fine until you start going REALLY fast down blue/black slopes. it's more of a park board afterall

madmatt 02-09-2008 01:35 PM

Alright, now about binding choice? What do you think about the Freestyles?

ahhhhhhhgabe 02-09-2008 01:43 PM

honestly, i'd opt to spend a little more for a better binding. in burton's line try to find last years p1, should be less than 200 bucks and they're nice and cushy. i have the mission bindings on my board (180 retail) and they work fine, but i wish i wouldve picked up the p1's or the 390's that rome makes (everyone loves those on this forum)

also, you're definitely a large in binding size

madmatt 02-09-2008 01:45 PM

Alright, thanks again gabe.