Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   What Size board should I have (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/37493-what-size-board-should-i-have.html)

KG29 02-13-2011 12:36 PM

What Size board should I have

Hi

I've always had a 154 and thought about getting a 155 as I was always told the board should be between your nose and neck.

But I really don't know what size I should buy?

would a 152 work,I mostly do Freeride but want to really get into the park

my height is 5'6

What's the disadvantageous with getting a board to small or to big

honeycomb 02-13-2011 12:56 PM

Height does not matter when picking a board. How much do you weigh and how big is your foot? You want the width of the board at the bindings to be equal or slightly smaller than your foot. Your weight and style of riding will tell you how much flex you want in a board. Stiffer board for freeride and big jumps, softer for park.

tampa54 02-13-2011 01:15 PM

At 5'6" a 152 is definitely not too small for you. Especially if you're planning to transition to the park.

Phenom 02-13-2011 01:27 PM

Welcome to the forum. You can find a lot of good information using the search function.

KG29 02-13-2011 01:29 PM

My boot size is a 9 and my weight is about 160-170(yes I need the gym) sometimes even 180

Leo 02-13-2011 02:35 PM

At a 160-180, your general range falls between 155-159. This varies greatly depending on the specific board.

Your best bet is to narrow down your choice of board, then consult the weight chart for that specific model. As long as your weight is within the range, you're good to go.

Optimally, you want to be somewhere near the center of the board's range.

I think a 152 will be too small for you unless you are riding a Burton Nug.

KG29 02-13-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 375206)
At a 160-180, your general range falls between 155-159. This varies greatly depending on the specific board.

Your best bet is to narrow down your choice of board, then consult the weight chart for that specific model. As long as your weight is within the range, you're good to go.

Optimally, you want to be somewhere near the center of the board's range.

I think a 152 will be too small for you unless you are riding a Burton Nug.

The board in question is the

Burton meat eaters road soda comes in 152 155 157

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ters-road.html

jdang307 02-13-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycomb (Post 375162)
Height does not matter when picking a board. How much do you weigh and how big is your foot? You want the width of the board at the bindings to be equal or slightly smaller than your foot. Your weight and style of riding will tell you how much flex you want in a board. Stiffer board for freeride and big jumps, softer for park.

What if you are really short for your weight. I think height does matter a little bit. To maintain the proper stance on my board, I have to adjust my bindings way in the middle of my board and that was barely. According to the "guidelines" I should have a 19-20" stance but I can't get it closer than 21" or so on the inner most holes.

honeycomb 02-14-2011 11:02 AM

I guess I shouldn't have said height doesn't matter, but weight and shoe size are a better way to size the board for most people. If you really want your stance narrower, you can get different center plates for your bindings. The ones that came with my ride bindings have slots instead of holes for the screws, so just by loosening the screws and sliding the bindings I can adjust stance about 2" wider or narrower.

AWNOW 02-14-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdang307 (Post 375434)
What if you are really short for your weight. I think height does matter a little bit. To maintain the proper stance on my board, I have to adjust my bindings way in the middle of my board and that was barely. According to the "guidelines" I should have a 19-20" stance but I can't get it closer than 21" or so on the inner most holes.

The reason people say height doesn't matter is that there were times when rental rats would just grab a rental board for someone and as long as it was around the chin or nose they said that was a fit. Still happens today, but not nearly as much as it used to. That style of "fitting" is basically just to get people through the lines as fast as possible instead of getting the best board for your riding type and best size of that board possible.

Height does actually matter IF you are very tall or very short, but that is about it.