Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 12 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #111 (permalink)

I have only been riding for 4 seasons no expert on the subject. But I like Hybrid Rocker with + camber under foot & rockered nose opposed to traditional cambered board.
I ride in the north east (upstate NY) conditions I ride in are mostly hard pack, PP, LG but we get occassional powder dumps now and then of several inches to 2+ feet of snow per event thanks to lake effect. been riding trad camber until week ago. huge difference for the better w/+ camber underfoot to tail & rockered nose (very popularfree ride shape now find it on the Burton baracuda & many freeride boards now) board very easy & quick to turn flys over bumps & tracked out pow where Trad camber tends to dig in superior float in the pow & can ride with more upright stance all this and near equal if not equal edge hold (I got 2012 Atomic Banger 162 I'm 5'8" 140)

board in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ9QZ3VxZ48

Last edited by P8899; 02-24-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: update
P8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #112 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post
Hi guys. I do mostly freeriding. I want to go fast with good control on my turns. I'm 5'7 140 lbs . My regular shoe size is 9.5 . Which profile board would be best for my requirements? And if you could recommend specific models, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
STOKED!

Where do you typically ride (what area of the world)?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #113 (permalink)

Hi Wiredsport, I'm riding in Southern California, mostly Mt. Baldy and Mountain High . Thanks.
caunyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #114 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Hi Wiredsport, I'm riding in Southern California, mostly Mt. Baldy and Mountain High . Thanks.
Everyone will have their own thoughts on this, but if you're freeriding in variable snow, and you want to go fast and have good control, nothing beats camber. I ride camber with a lifted front nose as my main freeriding board. Love it!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #115 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
The last two posters have given great advice, Camber works great for what you are looking to do. A little bit of rocker at the tip and tail to lift the contact points (Rocker Camber Rocker) works incredibly well. There are a lot of models and nuances that are great. A sub category here are the 3D options (Bataleon, Rome) which also provide tons of edge hold and keep the contact points out of harms way.

Camber Rocker Camber offers some amazing options as well. Never Summer, Mervin Brands, etc.

Please let us know if there is a specifc brand that you were leaning towards and we will be happy to drill down some more specific suggestions.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #116 (permalink)

Poutanen, which board do you have?

Wiredsport, could you recommend specific boards for both rocker-camber-rocker and camber with a lifted nose.

I don't have a specific brand in mind. I just want a board that's a good value; good quality at a cheap price, hopefully.
caunyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #117 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

Wiredsport, could you recommend specific boards for both rocker-camber-rocker and camber with a lifted nose.
Those are actually two ways of describing the same profile.

Rome is one of those companies that still does a lot of camber. From the Crossrocket which is an all mountain board with Rocker Camber Rocker and No Hang ups to full on Camber models like the Reverb with Stay Positive camber (which is a mind blowing board).
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #118 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:

I don't have a specific brand in mind. I just want a board that's a good value; good quality at a cheap price, hopefully.
Wiredsport's going to be far better than me at suggesting boards here. I've got a very specific freeride only board that wasn't cheap at all. However I think the lifted nose (or very mild RCR) profile is really nice to ride.

Most (all?) of the Jones boards have some version of RCR. The mountain twin is camber underfoot, with rocker starting right at the binding inserts. The flagship is more of a traditional camber board with a lifted nose. Prior offers some of the same types, but they're not particularly cheap either.

The other thing to look at are some of the boards wiredsport makes in house. He doesn't mention his boards here because I think he doesn't want to come across as spamming the forum, but it looks like the Camp Seven Roots, and the System D.O.A. offer some form of RCR profile. My neighbour got one of the wiredsport boards and it's constructed well and seemed to ride nice for the neighbour (I haven't had a chance to try it myself).
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #119 (permalink)

What's the best board for strong carves/freeride and catch free design on spins? Sometimes I land a jump and instantly catch an edge. I usually spend my day hitting boxes/kickers but I do love to freeride the trails.

Colorado Crew
zackmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #120 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmorris View Post
What's the best board for strong carves/freeride and catch free design on spins? Sometimes I land a jump and instantly catch an edge. I usually spend my day hitting boxes/kickers but I do love to freeride the trails.
Strong carves and catch free spins pull you towards opposite ends of the design spectrum. Carving favors a lot of planted edge on the snow while catch free spinning prefers at least the contact points lifted and possibly more. Boxes prefer boards that you have very little edge down.

Because you want to carve, spin and hit park features on one deck (and many riders do that) you want to shoot right up the middle in terms of design. There are boards in the shorter camber section Rocker Camber Rocker category that will be awesome. Same is true of Camber Rocker Rocker. TBT is a contender as well.