Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 17 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerFreak View Post
I started with the Burton step-in system which was quite crappy and went directly into Flow's so I don't have any experience with traditional strap bindings.

None of the Flow's that I've owned have the toe strap - I think this years models are the first to offer it.

I put a pair of 2012 NXT-FRX bindings on my new T.Rice about a week ago and it took me about 20 minutes to get them in the ball park at home and maybe another 10 minutes of adjustment once I got to the hill and made a few runs. I think there's YouTube videos for setting them up if you need more info.

This may be the wrong thread for discussing bindings so I apologize to the Mods if I'm out of line.
Thx for the info.. yeah I also apologize to the Mods for derailing this thread abit.. not my intention.
Dago91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #162 (permalink)

Default Another Advice post...

Here's my situation and request for advice.

215 pounds, size 10.5 boot, 30 days on the snow in the last two seasons after growing up on skis. Learned to board at Mammoth 10 years ago while stationed in San Diego, and been off the snow until I became the faculty advisor for the local college alpine/snowboarding club team where I teach. I'm a 43 year old male, been riding in the US mid atlantic area (PA, WV, MD) while accompanying our alpine ski and snowboard team. Squarely an intermediate rider who is still mastering the fundamentals of being dynamic, bending the knees, getting comfortable with speed, and staying stacked over the board. I'm generally ok at dynamic skidded turns and I can probably carve a little in the right conditions. I cannot ride the steep bumps smoothly (I tend to "shop for my turns" and its aggravating. I can get down, but not on a smooth line. I find a steep groomer is a blast, and have only been in powder one time (and it kicked my ass, though I can see the appeal, I think). My park interest is in the smaller jumplines and ride on features, with some intent to progress to being able to 180. I've not tried to pop onto anything, and definitely still working on being comfortable in the air off any sort of kicker (park or terrain).

I have been riding a 2011/2012 Rome Anthem 161 with what Rome calls Hybrid Ripit Camber, which looks to me like Camber with lifted tips, or maybe an RCR with a larger Camber section that ends outside the bindings. Although I have no other real data points, it seems to like the dynamic skidded/basic carves, it's fast, and has some pop in and out of turns, and is pretty stiff but damps out the chatter well. I've been pretty pleased on the east coast hardpack and the times it's thrown me have been rider error for sure.

Here's the issue. Relocating this summer to the Pac NW (Seattle) for the long haul. Going back to grad school for a year as I transition out of the military, so should get some good time on the snow next season, probably calling Stevens my new home mountain, although I've got family in Portland and Bend, so plan on seeing Hood and Bachelor (and hopefully Whistler and Baker) pretty regularly over the next decade or so. I grew up near White Pass and would love to get back there to see the new back area they recently opened up with new lodges and high speed lifts.

So, in light of my new riding environment and in hopes of expanding my skills, I am looking to add to my "quiver" if you can call two a quiver. I'd like something softer than my Anthem and more friendly to learning the ground tricks while slowly progressing in the park/jumplines, capable of groomers (because I'm going to be on some sort of groomer nearly everytime I go to the mountain, I think), but also powder friendly (assuming I'll see more of that in the NW than on the east coast). I also find riding switch seems difficult on my Anthem (though admittedly I don't practice enough) and I'd like to do that in conjunction with learning to butter/spin/180's to increase my options for having fun on the snow which means a twin or asymetrical twin, maybe. Given all that, some overlap with my current board is probably inevitable.

I'm thinking about a Camber-Rocker-Camber board. I'm not stuck on any specific brand, but I like that Gnu is handbuilt in the NW (Park Pickle or Riders Choice, probably), and I like the looks of the Arbor line in general, or I could get another Rome or NS deck, and I'm definitely ok with buying this years models as opposed to the cutting edge 2014s. I'll hopefully eventually get to the point where I can appreciate and take advantage of cutting edge, but for now, a discounted 2013 board is just fine. On the binding front, I've got Rome Mobs (not the Boss or 390, just straight Mobs) on the anthem, and they seem just a bit soft (plus the forward lean adjustment screw is gone on one of them), so I'm looking for an upgraded set of bindings as well, which is another thread, but might tell you about my riding experience thus far.

So it's time for the sanity check. Reasonable to add a new board? I could see bringing two to the mountain most days. I've ready through the 17 pages in this thread, and look forward to any feedback/advice.

Last edited by Hose91; 03-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Hose91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #163 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Welcome back (home) to the great PNW! Stoked for you.

You are starting out with a great board as a base and you will have a lot of fun adding in something new. Camber Rocker Camber is a great way to go. The Rider's Choice (161.5 cm) is a strong example and the Rome Agent Rocker (159 cm - Also CRC) or the Arbor Westmark (159 cm - with Arbor's System Rocker and Griptech) will be amazing alternates.

You have the right idea and a little extra help from a new deck will be all it takes to have you hitting all your goals.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 AM   #164 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Didn't know where else to post these pics. Took them a few weeks ago to compare camber and RCRs of the 4 boards we own.

From left to right: Prior Brandywine 153, Burton Custom 156, Burton T7 159, Virus Avalanche 160. Bottom, 8 year old tabby.

Prior Brandywine: moderate camber under foot, tips start to rise about 6" past each binding.

Virus Avalanche FLP AFT: moderate camber under foot, no early rise on the tail, early rise on the nose beginning about 8" from the inserts.

Burton Custom: slightly more camber than the Prior or Virus extending out to each tip.

Burton T7: FUKIN CAMBER BABY YEAH! You could park a German WWII tank under this thing...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #165 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz

What's the camber of the tabby?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #166 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouscat View Post
What's the camber of the tabby?
He puts the T7 to shame!!!

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #167 (permalink)

This thread seems like a good place to ask this. I plan on getting a new board soon if possible. I do most my riding on the Austrian alps. I tend to ride mostly hard pack and off piste and powder if possible. Never park. I am 16 years old and plan on using the new board for the next three years minimum. I weigh 140lbs and have a size 12 boot currently (which I plan on replacing as well). I am looking at the burton custom and custom x. Both boards are camber. Would I be better off going with one of these boards or a board with a combination? If I would be better with a combination board some suggestions would be helpful. I don't really care what brand. Those boards just caught my eye.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #168 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Some Guy,

Are you mostly laying down carves and surfing the pow or are you all mountain freestyling it?

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #169 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Some Guy,

Are you mostly laying down carves and surfing the pow or are you all mountain freestyling it?

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
I'd check both feet too... i think most people have some difference in size between their feet. My left is a half size bigger than my right, but i think some guys are even more.

Season Over. 23.
But they were great days.
The Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #170 (permalink)

Wiredsport,
I plan on riding mostly on hard pack and near the hard pack. Any jumps would be from natural terrain. These will probably be few and far between. The odds of me hitting a fresh powder dump are extremely low as I live in Germany by Nuremberg and ride most weekends at least one day. The locations are planned before the season starts.

My larger foot measured 27.6225cm from toe to heel.

Edit: left out I will be doing more carving and when I'm off piste, I will be more or less surfing if there is enough snow. I've only been riding about two seasons but I have been riding with expert skiers the entire time. This has caused a quick progression in skill on piste and in areas we don't have to hike to get to.

Last edited by Some Guy; 04-30-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Adding useful info
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote