Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 18 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #171 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Got it. Camber is really fun for what you are looking to do and if I were riding primarily in your area, I would have a straight camber board in my quiver. The Custom in 154 is a great choice. The 152 in the Custom X will also work, but you are on the lighter side so you will not likely want the extra stiffness unless you really love a stiffer board. 27.6 is a size 9.5/10 shoe and does not require any extra width.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #172 (permalink)

Thanks a ton, Wiredsport! i will buy boots before anything else. i wear mostly running shoes in 11 1/2 us size. i will have to try boots in person, no internet orders there
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #173 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Thanks a ton, Wiredsport! i will buy boots before anything else. i wear mostly running shoes in 11 1/2 us size. i will have to try boots in person, no internet orders there
Yessir,

Boot sizing is wild these days. Foot size is all that matters for determining board selection, but of course you want great fitting boots (regardless of the size that the MFG puts on the tag).

Stoked for you!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #174 (permalink)

I know this is getting a bit off topic, but how should a boot for standing without any bindings or anything on?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #175 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
I know this is getting a bit off topic, but how should a boot for standing without any bindings or anything on?
Hi,

Did you mean how should boots fit? If so, these are the tips we suggest.

Your boots should be snug!

The most common complaint about boots is that they are too loose, not to tight. The junction between rider and board begins with the boot, as it is in the most direct contact with the rider. When fitting boots, use the following method: A. Slip into the boot. B. Kick your heel back against the ground several times to drive it back into the boot's heel pocket. C. Lace the boot tightly, as though you were going to ride. NOTE: This is where most sizing mistakes are made. A snowboard boot is shaped like an upside down "7". The back has a good degree of forward lean. Thus, when you drop into the boot, your heel may be resting up to an inch away from the back of the boot, and your toes may be jammed into the front of the boot. Until the boot is tightly laced, you will not know if it is a proper fit. D. Your toes should now have firm pressure against the front of the boot. As this is the crux of sizing, let's discuss firm pressure: When you flex your knee forward hard, the pressure should lighten, or cease, as your toes pull back. At no time should you feel numbness or lose circulation. Your toes will be in contact with the end of the boot, unlike in a properly fit street or athletic shoe (snowboard boots are designed to fit more snugly than your other shoes). When you have achieved this combination of firm pressure and no circulation loss, you have found the correct size!

Last edited by Wiredsport; 05-01-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #176 (permalink)

Thanks a ton Wiredsport! I just learned my boots are too big. I wanted new ones anyways
Old 08-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #177 (permalink)

Hi guys, a new joiner in the forum here.

Thank you for the very comprehensive post, Wiredsport.

I am a beginner-intermediate goofy snowboarder currently looking into Rocker-Flat-Rocker snowboard (ex: K2 Grenade). What is the benefit of this board in comparison to Rocker-Chamber-Rocker board (ex: Flow Merc)? I mainly ride all-mountain freeride on major powdery/ minor slushy terrain.

Open to any suggestion for board type.

Thanks.
chemisiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #178 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemisiq View Post
Hi guys, a new joiner in the forum here.

Thank you for the very comprehensive post, Wiredsport.

I am a beginner-intermediate goofy snowboarder currently looking into Rocker-Flat-Rocker snowboard (ex: K2 Grenade). What is the benefit of this board in comparison to Rocker-Chamber-Rocker board (ex: Flow Merc)? I mainly ride all-mountain freeride on major powdery/ minor slushy terrain.

Open to any suggestion for board type.

Thanks.
Stoked Chemisiq,

A few things. The Merc is actually Camber Rocker Camber (not Rocker Camber Rocker - I know, this stuff gets crazy sounding). It looks like this:

The idea there is to keep a lot of contact area and drive while still benefiting from the looseness of rocker.

The K2 deck (I think you mean the Brigade) is almost entirely flat with a bit of lift at the contact points. That leads to a very stable board but at the expense of energy and ease of transitioning from edge to edge in carves.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #179 (permalink)

Hey, new to the forum and snowboarding in general, but looking to upgrade my board. I've rode about 20 times, but am able to navigate blacks, ollies, ect.

I was wondering which style is best for which kind of conditions. From what I understand rocker is better for powder and camber is better for the harder snow? I live in Vail and usually ride Vail and BC. I'd say about 1/4-1/3 of the days are powder and the others are not.

I'm looking for something for mainly freeriding right now, and maybe progress to a little park toward the end of the season.

What do you think would be the best fit?

I've heard good things about NS and Lib, specifically the NS Proto CT, which I've heard can hold an edge like a Camber, but can also float through powder.

Your input is appreciated! Thanks!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #180 (permalink)

Check out some Lib & GNU boards, different kinds of rocker but thanks to Magne Traction they hold edge quite nice in icy conditions. I ride Gnu Carbon Credit myself, mostly in Middle/Eastern Europe which is often icy and I'm happy with MT. Although CC is one of the cheapest board they make.

Last edited by xMazayx; 08-28-2013 at 02:45 AM.
xMazayx is offline   Reply With Quote