Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 19 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #181 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Floyd,

A solid all mountain freeride board will be a great choice for you. You will want something that can charge on groomers and get you some float lines in the trees and bowls. While there are rocker boards that are designed purely for pow, that is not the norm. Full rocker boards are most typically freestyle oriented and not what you are after at the moment.

The Proto that you mentioned is a great choice. Camber Rocker Camber is an amazing option. On many boards it can offer you a great balance of float, easy control, bite and power.

Another awesome option is Rocker Camber Rocker (pop cam).

Stoked that you get to ride big Western Mountains. That makes choosing gear easy
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #182 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your help. I have just one more question... which bindings do you think would go best with this board and my style of riding? I know absolutely nothing about bindings. Thanks again
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #183 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stoked to assist. I have PMed you a few great options, but I am of course very biased. You will get a lot of great suggestions here and in the bindings forum as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #184 (permalink)

What a great thread. Very helpful even to riders who've been around a long time but aren't familiar with all the latest gear.

I'm one of those older guys, I've been riding very stiff camber decks like the older Burton Custom or Balance for 19 years. Often these days I don't have the aggression needed to get the whole edge down on those stiff boards. When you're not charging hard enough to get it fully engaged things get very tiring, you have to use a lot of care to hold an edge when such a small amount of it is in contact with the snow, and having those contacts so far out makes you rock a lot as they bounce over bumps.

I'm going to be riding a little mountain this season, Seymour in Vancouver, so I think it's time to add a smaller, more easy going board. I saw a few Gnu decks on clearance from last year, I'm looking at the impossible and the rider's choice. The difference seems to be in the camber profile, EC2 vs C2. I wonder if anybody could explain the difference in ride between those two?

My priorities for this deck would be fun on groomers and jumping ability. Groomer time would be lots of fooling around switch, bs 180 ollies off rollers and drops, and playing on the side hits. Park time would be <20ft jumps, no rails/boxes and no halfpipe. I'm looking for a short, flick-able board so powder ability doesn't factor into this one.

Last edited by SprainedTongue; 10-08-2013 at 02:42 AM.
SprainedTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #185 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I'm looking at the impossible and the rider's choice. The difference seems to be in the camber profile, EC2 vs C2. I wonder if anybody could explain the difference in ride between those two?
Hi ST,

Deciphering Mervin's profiles is...ummm...not all that easy. Their info-graphics and videos do very little to make that easier (and in this case make it more confusing).

Simply put, C2 is what we have been referring to in this thread as Camber Rocker Camber. EC2 (Elliptical C2) is essentially the same basic design but with a slightly different camber shape and an extra (very minor) radius which slightly lifts the contact points when weighted.

The idea is that EC2 is a slightly easier going version of C2, aimed to further reduce catchiness, give extra float in pow, etc.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #186 (permalink)

I don't care about float in pow for this one or "edge catchiness" in anything so I decided whichever was stiffer to hand was getting the nod. (For the record that's the impossible.) Thanks for the info in this thread.
SprainedTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #187 (permalink)

Default T Rice Pro or T rice pro horsepower

I am considering buying one of these boards in the 157 length. the flex and dimensions are all the same. Anyone have any experience and is the horsepower model worth the extra 140 bones? Looks to me the only difference is a lighter weight and maybe better materials but does it really make it ride better in pow, park and groomed? Anyone know?
DOFPIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #188 (permalink)

Wired sport, this seems like a good place to ask...

Looking for advice on selecting a new board.

I've been riding for 8 years, mostly at a small resort in Indiana on almost entirely man made snow, might go out west occasionally, or east for a quick vacation. I enjoy cruising, can ride the blues, sometimes the blacks, not a big park rider.

I'm 51 years old, 5'6" tall, 162 lbs.

I ride a 2010 Flow Merc 151 now, looking to upgrade to a higher quality board with a sintered base.

I have looked at the Burton Custom Flying V and the Lib Tech Skatebanana, both have been recommended by local shops. After reading the forums here it looks like the Banana is a park board, maybe not so good for cruising? I think they recommended it because of the good performance on icy conditions.

Any advice on these 2 or others is welcome. Also looking for advice on size, is 154 too big for me?
Bebtester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #189 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

What is your foot size?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #190 (permalink)

Default Foot size

I wear a size 8 Burton Moto boots, fit me we'll, very comfortable, btw, I ride flow bindings right now too, broke my leg near the ankle several years ago and the Flows allowed me to get back ino the sport without pain.
Bebtester is offline   Reply With Quote