Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 27 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #261 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
This quote:

"I'm in the East so very rarely do I see powder, mostly groomers/hard/ice. My style of riding is aggressive all mountain, love to hit the long sweeping carves after charging straight down the mt"

+

180 lbs

Those elements scream for the longer size.
Thanks WS, I have this fear with 158 boards because I tried out the Burton Blunt 5 years ago and I kept washing out. I had no idea what I was doing wrong and blamed it on the 158, but since learning very recently I realized that the Burton Blunt has a rocker camber lol.
gixxerdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #262 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerdk View Post
Thanks WS, I have this fear with 158 boards because I tried out the Burton Blunt 5 years ago and I kept washing out. I had no idea what I was doing wrong and blamed it on the 158, but since learning very recently I realized that the Burton Blunt has a rocker camber lol.
Yes. Washing out would not be the symptom of going too long. The opposite is actually true, washing out is a symptom of not having enough edge to stand up to your specs. It is common for riders to switch to a rockered model in the same (or even significantly longer) length and end up feeling like they are washing out. This is because even with the longer overall board, they have lost true contact length and true effective edge length. Effectively they are riding a shorter board with a bigger number printed on it.

This is why we repeat this so often: tip to tip length in itself means nothing.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #263 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes. Washing out would not be the symptom of going too long. The opposite is actually true, washing out is a symptom of not having enough edge to stand up to your specs. It is common for riders to switch to a rockered model in the same (or even significantly longer) length and end up feeling like they are washing out. This is because even with the longer overall board, they have lost true contact length and true effective edge length. Effectively they are riding a shorter board with a bigger number printed on it.

This is why we repeat this so often: tip to tip length in itself means nothing.
Perfectly explained! Thanks ws! I'm glad everything makes perfect sense now.
gixxerdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #264 (permalink)

Question Trying to change boards....

Right now i ride the, ride crush 155cm 2012/2013...i like to hit the whole mountain from blue's to double black and hit jumps inbetween. Im from the east and go from the pocono's to vermont every snowboard season. I want a powder board being that im going out to jackson hole in march but also dont want to give up the forgivingness of my board. Pretty much i want a board thats great for the east and great for the west on occasion since i want to try out the glades. My ride crush was great but want something for the all around boarder that likes everything about the mountains. 5'9 160lbs i need a little advice.... I was looking at the lib tech and gnu boards and like the btx models.... But i will take other suggestions
Ressy5955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #265 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

When you wrote that you want a powder board do you mean that you are looking for a powder specific board or something that will do well in the pow but will also rip at your local East coast spots.?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #266 (permalink)

Hi,

looking to buy my daughter her first board, she is 7 and growing.
size 2.5 foot 57 lbs.
She is a beginner. I took her to local board shop and she saw a 2010-2011 k2 Kandi snowboard she liked and it is really reasonably priced less than $90. She is young and will not ride what she does not like so it limits me on choice. the size on it was 129. the k2 sizing chart was all over the map so it is hard for me to discern if this board will be good for her. I also like that it will probably be usable for more than a year or 2 while she grows. Before I pull the trigger on this, I want to ensure that this is not too much board for her. also looking for other sugesstions

thanks
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #267 (permalink)

Hey guys I'm new to the forum looking to upgrade my board and wanted some advice on what camber or rocker/camber boards are good for a budget of around 400. I do mainly all mountain/free ride, I tested out the ride buckup board last week and thought it was good but just wanted to see what other boards there are for my price rage. Also is the buckup classed as as all out camber or a rocker/camber/rocker board any help would be great, foot size 9 weight 16st

Cheers shane
Shanejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #268 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Shane,

Stoked that you are looking at this design. The Buckup uses what in Ride speak is Hybrid Twin Rocker (vid below). For the sake of consitancy, we have been calling that Rocker Camber Rocker (RCR).

The brand names (such as Hybrid Twin Rocker) came out when it was very hard to sell a board with the word Camber as the dominant part of the name. Now that there are a lot of riders looking for camber boards again that has changed / is starting to change. The best way to think of RCR is "Modern Camber" or "Camber with less Catch".

PS: On this board the camber section is very slight (ride calls it a micro camber). In the vid below check out the board when it is laid flat on the table before they overlay the white camber graphic on it (at about 0:20). It does have a very modest camber in the mid section but this deck borders on flat rock. I would not count on the micro camber for producing a lot of stored energy in itself.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 08-03-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #269 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Shane,

Stoked that you are looking at this design. The Buckup uses what in Ride speak is Hybrid Twin Rocker (vid below). For the sake of consitancy, we have been calling that Rocker Camber Rocker (RCR).

The brand names (such as Hybrid Twin Rocker) came out when it was very hard to sell a board with the word Camber as the dominant part of the name. Now that there are a lot of riders looking for camber boards again that has changed / is starting to change. The best way to think of RCR is "Modern Camber" or "Camber with less Catch".

PS: On this board the camber section is very slight (ride calls it a micro camber). In the vid below check out the board when it is laid flat on the table before they overlay the white camber graphic on it (at about 0:20). It does have a very modest camber in the mid section but this deck borders on flat rock. I would not count on the micro camber for producing a lot of stored energy in itself.

Hi thanks for the info so is this not good as a all mountain board then? I tried a k2 hit machine today to to see the difference without the camber and I did prefer the buck up, trouble is there's isn't much to demo at the moment I really like the look and sound of the neversummer cobra but need to demo something with a similar camber/rocker/camber setup any other boards that people could recommend for all mountain?
Shanejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #270 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Shane,

Both of the boards you have mentioned were designed primarily as freestyle boards. Before you buy I would suggest demoing a few freeride boards as that is what you are doing most. STOKED!