Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 28 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #271 (permalink)

I was told buy the people in the shop that they were abit of an all rounder what boards do you think would be good as a freeride/all mountain me and my misuses are doing are CASI training next November so wanted something that would mainly be good to shred down the mountain with the odd park ride
Shanejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #272 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanejones View Post
I was told buy the people in the shop that they were abit of an all rounder what boards do you think would be good as a freeride/all mountain me and my misuses are doing are CASI training next November so wanted something that would mainly be good to shred down the mountain with the odd park ride
Hi Shane,

In my opinion these designs are a bit low on the stored energy side to be considered true freeride boards. There is a group of riders who prefer to ride freestyle designed models for everything but I know that you will be pleasantly surprised when you get on a freeride designed model. I am sure that some other users will chime in with some strong suggestions for you along those lines.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #273 (permalink)

I have read most of this thread and have a really stupid question (and yes there are stupid questions). I started riding in 1995 and have always ridden cambered boards. Currently on a lightly used 2008 Nitro Pantera (157). I rarely (anymore) catch edges or go down, but have concentrated on skiing the past few years (I know, I know, but this year want to mostly snowboard. The skiing also accounts for the light use of the Pantera). I am mostly an all mountain cruiser-groomers and powder when available. Now on to the the question: would I see any benefit by trying some of these new designs? Forgot to mention I am an old guy-68.

Thanks
Ancient One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #274 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient One View Post
I have read most of this thread and have a really stupid question (and yes there are stupid questions). I started riding in 1995 and have always ridden cambered boards. Currently on a lightly used 2008 Nitro Pantera (157). I rarely (anymore) catch edges or go down, but have concentrated on skiing the past few years (I know, I know, but this year want to mostly snowboard. The skiing also accounts for the light use of the Pantera). I am mostly an all mountain cruiser-groomers and powder when available. Now on to the the question: would I see any benefit by trying some of these new designs? Forgot to mention I am an old guy-68.

Thanks
Hi AO,

Stoked for the question. In short, yes. You are likely familiar with some of the profiles from your skiing (skiing borrowed these technologies from snowboarding...and made good use of them). Most of the new freeride skis are Rocker Camber Rock (early rise rocker is a common ski term) or rocker. What skis have you been using/enjoying?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #275 (permalink)

Thanks Wired Sports,

I have been using Fischer RX8 for most of my hard pack groomer skiing-they have traditional camber and are a GS cut designed for ski-cross; and some Fischer all mountain skis (name escapes me at the moment-hey I am old) that have a small rocker in the front and back with a camber in the middle-these work well on pretty much everything including powder. The RX8's are 172cm and the others are 177CM

Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #276 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll buy that Pantera if you ever want to sell it. I would be careful wasting too much time venturing too far off from traditional camber. I would recommend something like the Lib Darker C3 which will have a lot of the control you are used to with camber but just a little more catch free playfulness that can make riding interesting and expressive. Another profile that isn't too far of a departure is the Camrock profiles in YES and Jones boards. I prefer the Libtech C3 profile personally and highly recommend the Darker in a 158. Good luck.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #277 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'd recommend something RCR which is camber between the bindings and rocker in the tips. It's my favorite camber profile. All the great edge hold and pop of camber, but playful in the tips and catch free. Best of both worlds IMO. But, like most things in snowboarding it really comes down to personal preference. There's no real right or wrong answer.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #278 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient One View Post
Thanks Wired Sports,

I have been using Fischer RX8 for most of my hard pack groomer skiing-they have traditional camber and are a GS cut designed for ski-cross; and some Fischer all mountain skis (name escapes me at the moment-hey I am old) that have a small rocker in the front and back with a camber in the middle-these work well on pretty much everything including powder. The RX8's are 172cm and the others are 177CM

Thanks
Perfect, that will be great for reference.

The profiles that you have been skiing on are designed to yield the same results in skis and snowboards.

Camber is going to give you maximum edge hold and energy with the potential downside being that they require you to stay on them and they tend to be the most catchy of all profiles. Additionally there are alternate profiles that will float better in pow. You already have camber well covered with your Pantera.

You can achieve the same kind of quiver diversity that you have in your skis by adding an RCR model as others have suggested above. RCR is essentially an early rise at the tip and tail of an otherwise camber board. The placement of the early rise varies by model as it does with skis. This variance largely determines how much looser and floatier the board will feel in comparison with traditional camber (...and also how much edge grip and energy will be sacrificed). Longer contact RCR boards will be an excellent choice for you. Mervin's C3 that was mentioned above is really RCR as well with the addition of a subtle dip between the bindings.

A lot has been written here about Camber Rocker Camber and suffice it to say that there will be many excellent options in that profile as well that will on the whole be easier going than your Pantera while retaining a good amount of grip and drive.

If you are looking for something looser again you may want to explore some models with all mountain Rocker profiles. Some of Arbor's Mountain Rocker boards are terrific examples (insert biased dealer opinion).

Last edited by Wiredsport; 09-02-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #279 (permalink)

Thank you all especially Wired Sports. Once the snow falls, I will do some demoing and see if any of the altenative cambers strike a chord with me. I have always liked the "woody" look of the Arbors, so who knows.......
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #280 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Yeah, I'd recommend something RCR which is camber between the bindings and rocker in the tips. It's my favorite camber profile.
My fave too, feels similar to full camber on groomers, but much easier on the legs in powder...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote