Rocker, Camber, and everything in between - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #31 (permalink)

I use the DH 2.4, Rocker-flat-camber-flat-rocker... is what they say.. I think PRIOR does something similar? know anything about PRIOR, better than RIDE?
CrooklynSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #32 (permalink)

hey wired i read all the stickies and thanks for the info its been a big help. my question is i was advised by two members to start with a traditional camber not rc board to insure i don't develope bad habits and another member said it would be better to start with a rc board so im not spending more time learning to get up rather then riding.
which do you think is a better way to start traditional or rc?
dragunovowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The bad habits argument just doesn't hold up to the sniff test. Bad habits are bad habits and any style board. Rocker boards are a tab bit easier to learn on. With the current trends, I doubt many will be going back to a cambered deck anytime soon. Sure there will be a market for it, but I doubt it'll be the mainstream. By the time you get to the point where you might want to ride a cambered deck, you'll have no problem with it.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
The bad habits argument just doesn't hold up to the sniff test. Bad habits are bad habits and any style board. Rocker boards are a tab bit easier to learn on. With the current trends, I doubt many will be going back to a cambered deck anytime soon. Sure there will be a market for it, but I doubt it'll be the mainstream. By the time you get to the point where you might want to ride a cambered deck, you'll have no problem with it.
thanks man i really like this board but was unsure since it was rc Libtech Skunk Ape C2 BTX Snowboard | Peter Glenn
dragunovowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovowned View Post
hey wired i read all the stickies and thanks for the info its been a big help. my question is i was advised by two members to start with a traditional camber not rc board to insure i don't develope bad habits and another member said it would be better to start with a rc board so im not spending more time learning to get up rather then riding.
which do you think is a better way to start traditional or rc?
You will hear both opinions on this.

Some generalities:

Starting on camber will teach you something about using your edges (and the beginnings of carving) pretty early on in the game. This comes at the expense of some hard take-downs and a bit slower learning curve during the first few days.

One thing to consider will be what you eventually want to do. Do you see yourself favoring speed carves on East Coast hardpack, cord ducking powder runs, spending your day killing the park?

Keep in mind that Reverse Camber does not always refer to one thing. It is fairly commonly used as a catch-all for all of the technologies other than camber. There are big differences in how much ease each of these will contribute early on to your riding.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 03-27-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Haha thanks for this man. But after going through all that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the traditional camber. :P
Old 04-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #37 (permalink)

I have a question about traditional camber and reverse camber boards. I read online somewhere that when choosing a reverse camber board, you'd want to select a size a tad bit smaller than a traditional camber board, is this true? And if so, is there an explanation for this reason? Thanks.
broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken View Post
I have a question about traditional camber and reverse camber boards. I read online somewhere that when choosing a reverse camber board, you'd want to select a size a tad bit smaller than a traditional camber board, is this true? And if so, is there an explanation for this reason? Thanks.
Yeah, I've heard that too. It doesn't necessarily mean you need to buy a smaller board; more you can go shorter without loosing the advantages to the longer board. Sorry, I'm not great at explaining things. I mean, it really comes down to if you want a shorter or longer board. RC basically gives you the option to go a little bit shorter and still keep what the longer boards give you. I'm not exactly sure why.
Gruber1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #39 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken View Post
Hi Broken,

I am glad you asked this question because that type of misinformation is all over and is responsible for a lot of riders ending up with poorly size boards.

As a generality, the opposite is true. A traditional cambered board (along with dead flat boards) have the longest running surface if all other elements are equal, and will "ride" the longest. Reverse camber boards (original rocker, banana) lift the contact points and, even when weighted, have a smaller snow contact surface than conventional cambered boards. So, all things equal, you would need to go longer on a RC model to match a cambered model.

BUT, all things are not equal.

First off, Length, which describes only the tip to tail length of a board is a truly useless measurement. The shape of the tip and tail can change length by up to 6 cm on board that have the identical running surface and effective edge. You will see this become even more evident in the upcoming season because flatter tips and tails are being used again on many shapes. Just blunting the tip and tail will shorten any given board by 3-4 cm without having any real impact on the way it rides.

Also, please keep in mind that reverse camber refes to a number of different technologies and there are huge variances within each.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 04-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

Gruber1922 and Wiresport, thanks for those explanations, this technology definitely confuses the masses. But thanks for the clarifications.
broken is offline   Reply With Quote