women's board help? Pandora vs. B-Nice vs. Ollie Pop vs. Gypsy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

female women's board help? Pandora vs. B-Nice vs. Ollie Pop vs. Gypsy?

Hi everyone, wondering if you could help me choose a new women's board?
I am 5'5", and 115 lbs.
I am *I think* and intermediate snowboarder. Very comfortable with turns and BLUE runs, testing out a Black Diamond once in awhile. Working on carving etc.
I think I need an all mountain board... need something to progress on...
I will probably never ride parks, no rails, no crazy jumps - but I also don't like to go super fast... no bombing!
I live on the east coast but also snowboard in the west... so both groomed trails, and deep powder. Once in awhile there's some ice out east.

Have been riding an 8 year old Salomon Ivy 148... and am looking to upgrade.
Just bought Thirty Two Lashed FT boots and Union Trilogy bindings (so BURTON boards with the channel are out)

Boards I'm considering are:

Never Summer Pandora
Salomon Gypsy
Roxy Ollie Pop
Gnu B-Nice

Thoughts on these boards? Any other rec's?

When I read about these boards on the company website, they are often described as 'park' boards... though I also hear from some shops that most people are riding both softer and shorter boards than what used to be recommended. Is that true?

WHAT SIZE board should I be riding?

Ok thanks so much in advance for your help!
el8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

My girlfriend loves her Pandora. The first run she made she noticed how easy it was to turn and how well it holds a edge. She's 5'7" 115 ponds and rides 143.

She also looked at the Roxy Ollie Pop and Gnu B-Nice but felt they might be to soft.
Jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say a 148 is a little too long for you. I weigh about 10 pounds less and have ridden boards between 140cm and 145 cm in length. For you, I would say something between 143cm and 145 is ideal.

I also ride the Pandora and love it. Of all the soft "park" boards on the market, it is probably the dampest, so it has a lot of stability. The edges are great on hard pack and ice. If you want a more all-mountain board, the NS Infinity 145 would be another excellent option for you, especially since you are accustomed to a stiffer board.

The Ollie Pop is pretty similar to the Pandora, but I think it is a little stiffer. Here is an excellent review that will tell you everything you need to know: Snowboard Review: 10-11 Roxy Ollie Pop C2 BTX – Shayboarder.com

Since the Ollie Pop has C2BTX, I would recommend it over the B-Nice or the Gypsy, since the alternative camber on the Ollie Pop will provide more stability that the rockers on the other two boards.

Also consider the Roxy Eminence, which is a step up from the Ollie Pop: Snowboard Review: 10-11 Roxy Eminence C2 BTX – Shayboarder.com

One more thing: what size boots do you wear? That may affect your board choice as well.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

female

Thanks so much Jay29 & LilFoot!
I wear a sz 7.5 boot...
sounds like it's between the Pandora & the Ollie Pop... leaning towards the Pandora... i keep hearing great things about it.
Just waiting for a good sale now!
Thanks again for your advice!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're looking for an all-mountain board, get the Never Summer Infinity instead of the NS Pandora. It's on sale 30% off! The Infinity is the women's version of the amazing Never Summer SL board. On sale at $319 (MSRP $460). Check the NS website for weight ranges, or call NS and ask. The Pandora is more of a park/pipe board (twin tip), and the Infinity is more of a freeride board (directional twin) that can do some park/pipe.

Purchase from:

2011 Infinity Snowboards by Never Summer - Never Summer Snowboards offers Never Summer 2011 Infinity Snowboards at Buy Snow your source for snowboards
borborygmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

female

Wow thanks so much for the tip... I would have never found BuySnow's sale by google... So just bought the NS Infinity 145... did a whirlwind of research on it just now and it seems like everyone loves it for what I want to do. Thanks to everyone for the great advice and sale tips!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

female update

Took the NS Infinity 145 for a run on Monday. WOW what a difference! Thanks so much to all of you for your advice... Awesome board... it was better at EVERYTHING... gripping on ice, ease of turning, forgiving, stable on flats, stable at higher speeds. I was afraid a new board might not make that much of a difference, but I was definitely wrong! This has made riding even more fun if that's possible! Can't wait to get back out there. Also ran into another girl who just got the Infinity as well, and she was loving it too. Thanks to borborygmii for the BuySnow sale tip... looks like I saved $100 compared to the other girl!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Were at on the east coast you board? I need more people to go with since the guys i normaly go with have class when im free and i have class when there free.

twitter-tastic
tj_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el8080 View Post
Took the NS Infinity 145 for a run on Monday. WOW what a difference! Thanks so much to all of you for your advice... Thanks to borborygmii for the BuySnow sale tip... looks like I saved $100 compared to the other girl!
Nice! Glad you found the right board, kiddo! Enjoy!!
borborygmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el8080 View Post
Took the NS Infinity 145 for a run on Monday. WOW what a difference! Thanks so much to all of you for your advice... Awesome board... it was better at EVERYTHING... gripping on ice, ease of turning, forgiving, stable on flats, stable at higher speeds. I was afraid a new board might not make that much of a difference, but I was definitely wrong! This has made riding even more fun if that's possible! Can't wait to get back out there. Also ran into another girl who just got the Infinity as well, and she was loving it too. Thanks to borborygmii for the BuySnow sale tip... looks like I saved $100 compared to the other girl!
That's great!!
Jay29 is offline   Reply With Quote