Evo vs. SL vs. Proto CT - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evo vs. SL vs. Proto CT

Was looking for some advice on a choice between these 3. I'm 6'0" 190 lbs, size 11 boot. Going to most likely be purchasing the 32 lashed FT and Rome 390 Boss's.

I'm an experienced freerider but am now starting to hit the park and need a board to keep up. I've heard the Evo is good for what I'm looking for, but am not sure about stabiliy for bombing groomers, as I've heard mixed reviews. The Evo is what I'm leaning toward so please let me know if you think I'm making a bad choice.

Should I just wait for the Proto CT? Or go with the SL? Haven't bought a board in a few years when I got a Premier T5 in 07 offseason at a discount, but with NS jumping in popularity so much, if I go with this year's Evo or SL should I try to get a deal in the offseason or jump on one now in fear of them selling out?

Am a little undecided about length as well, 158 or 161? Thanks for any input guys.
tampa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd lean toward waiting for the Proto CT. From the reviews I've read, it seems like the perfect blend between the Evo and SL, at least for me. I'm not a huge jibber, so I would find the slightly stiffer Proto advantageous in most situations.

If you're wanting a jib heavy board, definitely go toward the Evo. If you're looking for something more for jumps and what not, I'd wait for the Proto.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking for a quiver-killer as I live in FL, hard to bring multiple boards with me. Seen some positive comments about the Proto's jibbing so think I will try and stick it out and wait. That being said, if I see a helluva deal on the Evo or SL this offseason I might not have the willpower to resist.

As far as the Proto goes, at 190 lbs should I be looking at the 157 or 160 with the blunt tips and increased effective edge?
tampa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa54 View Post
Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking for a quiver-killer as I live in FL, hard to bring multiple boards with me. Seen some positive comments about the Proto's jibbing so think I will try and stick it out and wait. That being said, if I see a helluva deal on the Evo or SL this offseason I might not have the willpower to resist.

As far as the Proto goes, at 190 lbs should I be looking at the 157 or 160 with the blunt tips and increased effective edge?
If it's your only board I would put you on the 160.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

What's wrong with the SL guys? That's a great all-mountain freestyle board with great reviews all over the web. You want something for park and groomers, I feel you'll be doing more jumping than rails? I think both Evo and SL are great for you, and you shouldn't ignore that great deal.

If you want lots of buttering and rails: Evo

If you want all mountain performance, great jumping and a bit less (ofcourse still possible) jibbing: SL

If you think that other one is exacly in the middle, wait. But I don't think it will make a lot of a difference, it won't be exacly in the middle and you'll still be making the same choice as you're doing with these two boards
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For me the reason the Proto is interesting is the carbonium topsheet and the graphics. Not a huge fan of the SL graphics. yes graphics are at the bottom of the list of factors but it's still a factor
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

My vote would be for a 161 SL. I am 195lbs 5'10 and that is what I ride as my go anywhere board. Jumps great, floats great, Even dealt with a mach 12 run down an icy black trail to ski patrol yesterday.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you find a good deal on an SL, go for it. Otherwise, the Proto will be a supreme choice of a board for you.

And you are very right for being interested in the Carbonium topsheet. I looooooooooove it.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Does anyone no how the proto is jibbing wise. soryy for the thread jack
SHREDDER97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDDER97 View Post
Does anyone no how the proto is jibbing wise. soryy for the thread jack
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive 2012 Never Summer Proto CT Used and Abused