Dimpled bases (like a golf ball)? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Dimpled bases (like a golf ball)?

Does anyone know if any manufacturer has experimented with making a snowboard (or ski) with a dimpled base similar to the design golf balls use to improve flow through media (in this case, snow)? Adding some texture to the base while waxing helps break surface tension on wet snow, so it seems as if it would be the same principle. Discuss.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

arbor does, and i think i remember someone saying that all boards made somewhere have the same or similar base.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesp View Post
arbor does, and i think i remember someone saying that all boards made somewhere have the same or similar base.
Arbor does currently? Which model? I don't quite understand the second part of your sentence though.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

haha well i suppose i havn't seen the current model years but mine has it, maybe they quit doing it?
Also I was reading on some forum and people were talking about the dimpled bases on arbors. anyway they said that there is a board factory that makes a few different brands of boards and they all have the same base. I could be wrong though on both accounts.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesp View Post
haha well i suppose i havn't seen the current model years but mine has it, maybe they quit doing it?
Also I was reading on some forum and people were talking about the dimpled bases on arbors. anyway they said that there is a board factory that makes a few different brands of boards and they all have the same base. I could be wrong though on both accounts.
Which model do you have? In your experience how does it function compared to a standard base? Do you have to do anything special when waxing it?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor started doing it a few years ago. A couple models of Stepchild boards have it now, as do a couple DC models. It's called a Structurn base. Arbors that friends and I owned with that base were all pretty fast. Not sure how much of the speed was from the sintered material used or this tech, but it definitely wasn't any kind of drawback.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read a post here a while back talking about this. I think Snowolf was pretty high in the knowledge on that one. Maybe he will chime in.
Prime320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Arbor started doing it a few years ago. A couple models of Stepchild boards have it now, as do a couple DC models. It's called a Structurn base. Arbors that friends and I owned with that base were all pretty fast. Not sure how much of the speed was from the sintered material used or this tech, but it definitely wasn't any kind of drawback.
Interesting. I wonder if there are any drawbacks? I suppose it is more difficult to manufacturer (maybe -- I don't know). Are there any scenarios or snow conditions in which one would definitely not want a dimpled base?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can imagine it would be a pain in the ass to wax wouldn't it? Once you laid the wax down wouldn't it just fill it all the dimples and almost render them useless?
conwayeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwayeast View Post
I can imagine it would be a pain in the ass to wax wouldn't it? Once you laid the wax down wouldn't it just fill it all the dimples and almost render them useless?
I was thinking that too.