Help me pick my first great board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me pick my first great board

So, I have been boarding for yearsóaround 14 years (starting at ~15 years old). I would consider myself an intermediate boarder (skill-wise). Iíve always lived in Utah, but Iíve never lived near a resort, so I would just go one, two, or maybe three times a year. Iíve owned three boards, and I would always just pick out a budget board that looked decent, because I couldnít justify buying an expensive board. Iíve owned two House brand (The House Burton Snowboards, Snowboard Boots, Bindings, Jackets, Pants, Clothing, K2, Ride, DC, Holden, Bonfire) brand boards, and I currently own a 164cm Head Defiance I (that was made in 2006). Iím 6í2Ē 180lbs with a 11 size boot, and the Head felt a lot better than the 152cm House brand board I replaced with it. This weekend I went boarding with some friends, and my buddy let me ride his Rossignol Experience (Iím pretty sure it was the mid-wide version). It felt SOoooOOooOoOoo much better than my current board, and I was even riding the Rossi backwards (he is regular and Iím goofy)! I felt so much more stable and confident; with all my previous board Iíve had to work so hard all the time to keep it under control.

Anyway, Iíve recently moved and Iím less than 15 miles to three great resorts and Iím in the market for a new board. For the first time I want to get a board where Iím not just trying to find the cheapest board that I think I could live with. I would like to get something nice, without worrying too much about the cost (nothing crazy of course).

My style is freeride or all-mountain, I guess. I love power, I donít like the park, Iíd probably hit small jumps if I could land them. Like I said, Iíd consider myself intermediate, Iím pretty comfortable tackling about any trailósometimes on a steep choppy hill Iíll fall on my butt when turning heel-side. Iíve just never gotten comfortable jumping. Iím not really a speed demon, I just like enjoying the ride.

So anyway, Iíve been googling and reading a ton, but I havenít really found the perfect board for me.

If I had to summarize my ideal board it would be one that would handle groomed trails and power, but not get me killed on the ice. It would also be maneuverable enough to head off into the trees. I want something I can just relax on and enjoy the ride; I donít want to be constantly fighting it.

I pretty much have my list whittled down do the following, I would appreciate any help or advice with these boards or additional recommendations that I could research further:

1. Never Summer F1 Premier - May be too much board for me? Sure Iíve been boarding for 15 years, but itís been pretty casual. I read warnings about this board only being for advanced riders and I wonder if I would have trouble making this puppy obey my will. Also, a review I read said that it is ďsquirrely in the flats,Ē which I donít think grooves too well with my desire to have a board that I can relax with.

2. Never Summer Heritage - Pretty much the same concern--can I handle it? Do I really want more of this type of board or more of a freeride specific board?

3. Rossignol Experience - The reviews Iíve read seem to indicate that this is pretty-much a quiver board for powder. Iím not yet to the point where I can justify a quiver board. When I rode it it was a bit difficult to initiate turns, but that could have been because I was riding it backwards :P

Thanks so much in advance.
beantmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

K2 Raygun looks like a board who can handle it all for decent money. Got a Good wood award in transworld, also..

Good Wood Snowboard Test 2011 K2 Raygun

Last edited by j3n5; 02-15-2011 at 11:01 AM.
j3n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just as an update, I got a 2012 Never Summer Heritage 162 last night

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

sicccccccccccck
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantmt View Post
Just as an update, I got a 2012 Never Summer Heritage 162 last night

You got the 2012 already? Nice. How did you purchase one already if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is a local shop here called Salty Peaks that apparently has a super good relationship with Never Summer. They apparently received one of each (in each size) of the 2012 boards. They don't have the new boards listed online.

I alllllmost got a Premier F1, but I think this one will suit me better for now.

There was a $50 premium for the new boards.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

nice!!!!!! board looks sick!!!http://www.snowboardingforum.com/ima...s/thumbsup.gif
TreyDay is offline   Reply With Quote