Board Selection Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Board Selection Question

Ok, cliff notes back story. In 2000,all my gear was stolen from my garage. I had an Alien Workshop 152 and a burton Custom 160 stolen.

I replaced them with a Neversummer 154 as I was only around 165lbs back then. Well due to life, work, and a terrible marriage that board stayed in the bag from 12-31-2000 until last season.

I live in Indiana so even with the 60 lbs I gained due to the lousy marriage mentioned above the 154gets me around Okay. There isn't any back country here and fresh natural powder is a very rare sight.

Fast forward to now, 220 ish ( on a severe weight redution plan now and still dropping lbs)
Size 12 boots, Mainly carving, bombing and I will hit the occasional kicker and have no problem popping off of random obstacles around the slopes. I am damn near 40 years old and don't have any interest at all in rails. I hit the occasional box but again, very very rarely.

After much reading and studying I am Interested in The NS SL or maybe even the NS legacy.

I am thinking a 161 or 164. I ride duck @ 18 - 18* so I think the size 12 would be fine on the 161 or 164 sl. I like the idea of edege to egdge being quicker than the legacy due to width.

I am heading to Colorado in March and I am trying to add a second board, more sutied to my size to my quiver just in case it snows while we are there.

Am I thinkg along the right lines or would you reccomend another direction? FWIW, I have Flow Nxt Fse's to mount on whatever I buy.

Thanks in advance guys.
racer357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah your definitely thinking on the right lines, if I were you I would go for the 64 if you think youll drop to 200 lbs or less, otherwise maybe consider a 70 especially if your going to be bombing pow and not hitting the park much. With a size 12 you might want to consider a wide board but if you have a small footprint boot and toe ramps on your bindings you might get away with a regular wide.
Anyway have fun.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dunno...why you are looking the SL and Legacy.

You said bombing and carving, so I would lean to the Heritage or Premier F1.

According to Never Summer Snowboard Size Chart - 2011 | evo this chart, and depending on how much LB's you plan to lose, I'd say your right at 162 to 166.

Size 12...my size 10's hang over about 3/4" each side of a 163 F1 at 18 degrees. The heritage X (wide) 163 is 1.1 cm wider. Not sure how a size 12 will fit on a non-wide board.

BTW...bad marriages suck. Been there done that. Gaining a ton is often a result. Good luck in the recovery.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks Kab,

When the divorce finalized in '07 I was up to 288lbs, dropped to 195 in a year, and then gradually climbed back up to 235 - 240. Since Christmas I have steadily and healthily dropped back to 220 and my end point I am shooting for is 200.

I was looking at the SL and the legacy due to all the rave reviews they get on this forum and a couple others I have ran across. I also have to remember that there isn't a whole lot of bombing and carving to be done in Indiana, Michigan, or Ohio where most of my days are going to be spent. The biggest place around me is either Boyne or 7 springs and both of those are 7+ hours.

Since I have started remembering what my body knew how to do on a board before the 10 year break. I thought the SL seemed like a good choice to allow me to progerss with ground tricks and hitting kickers. I dont have much interest in sliding rails and boxes as my MX racing did a number on both rotator cuffs and rails are not forgiving when you miss.

I will look a little further at the heritage and the F1 in the 164 range. I am also hoping to drive up to Cascade Mountain in Wisconsin this weekend as they are having a NS demo day on Sunday and Monday. Hopefully I will come home with a new stick and be one step closer to ready for A-basin in March.
racer357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good luck with your weight management plan. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job given some of the challenges you have overcome. Congratz for that! If you do get up to the NS demo day, please check out a Raptor and get any feedback you can from anyone that rides one. It will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Edp25 is offline   Reply With Quote