New to the sport. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Codysan

Default New to the sport.

Ok so I just started snowboarding just a month ago. The group iv been going with say I have naturally good balance and am a quick learner. Thankfully learning to surf helped. But they say the board I'm using is the main think that is holding me back. We found it a goodwill and they have never seen one like it neither have I. But it is green and black and is a Nitro Diablo. The EC is 134 the heel side is 9cm and toe side is 11cm the bindings have a weird diamond pattern for the screws. Its kinda narrow and very long. Basically seems like it is made for nothing but speed. I can go straight and slightly turn extremely fast and sometimes a little to fast when someone gets in the way and since I cant turn only option is to face plant or take a bath in the snow. Im use to freestyle riding on the surf but this is more speed. I dont know much about equipment. She is a good board just wondering what type of board someone would suggest for learning or a type of board that isnt all speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is what I've heard when I was looking into a board...pretty much don't buy a beginner board, as you'll outgrow it. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll double what Minger said...I bought a non-beginner board (Arbor Alt) after being out twice and feel pretty good on it after another three days on the mountain...don't know how I would feel on a beginner board but don't see any downside to getting something a little better and growing with it

As for what makes a beginner board a beginner board, I'm really not positive...I think most of them are a lot cheaper because they use cheaper materials and leave out a lot of the technology advances (or gimmicks).

I also think they tend to be more flexible so they are a bit slower and more forgiving of mistakes...i think a very stiff board is more likely to react to even a slight shift in weight or a slight bump/change in the slope, while a more flexible boards gives more leeway?

Also, it sounds like you want an all-mountain board since you are not spending too much time in the park...something that is directional or a directional twin instead of a true twin...

beyond that I would spend some time trying to demo a bunch of boards to see what you like...
dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote