Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   First new board in 5+ years (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/37622-first-new-board-5-years.html)

doktrin 02-16-2011 02:39 AM

First new board in 5+ years

I am thinking of picking up a new board and would really appreciate some thoughts and suggestions.

I was a pretty avid snowboarder between 99 and 2002, but haven't been active since.

Skill wise I'm an above average mountain rider and used to race slalom/gs, though barely competent in parks. I can pull simple grabs and rotations off small kickers.

Height : 5'11
Weight : 175lbs
Size : 11.5

My riding style is all-mountain, but I really want to progress into more advanced park riding. Living on the east coast riding groomers isn't all that exciting anymore.

I am trying to stay low, price wise, since in addition to a new board I also need to eventually upgrade my boots, pants, jacket and pick up a helmet. That said, I'm willing to spend on the right piece of equipment.

Boards I've considered : NS Legacy, NS Revolver, Capita mid-life, Burton Blunt [good price], Skate Banana

camber/rocker/rc/fk : Honestly, this is all new to me, lol :P

Currently ride a 156

j3n5 02-16-2011 04:05 AM

I did the same thing this winter. Iīv been snowboarding for 18 years and was quite active for my first 10 years. I categorize me as Advanced Freestyle rider hitting park and pow when itīs in front of me. My boards has always been +160 and firm in flex beacaus i want to be able to rely on my edge in groomers and ice. This year i tryed out a couple of rockerboards and were amazed! I cant see why some say that rockerboards canīt hold an edge. I used to ride Palmer becaus of the edge and modern high-end rockerboard preform equal to these.

I ended up with a Nitro Team Gullwing 157. Itīs a camber/rocker/camber board like Burton Custom Flying-V. My old board was a Palmer Power Circle Carbon 162 (not wery forgiving in park or kickers but with an amazing edge). The Gullwing feels as stable at high speed, cutīs thru groomer and ice and handles the park wery nice as well.

I never thougt that i (37 years, 5,9", 155lbs) would hit big kickers and press rails again, but my new board makes me wanna! The board simly lets me do what i want on it. Iīm not used to boards like this, but once again i am growing i snowobarding!!

doktrin 02-16-2011 05:41 AM

thanks for the suggestion man.
Hadn't even heard of/considered that board and it's definitely in line with what I'm looking for.

I'm 27 myself. Lived next to a mountain during all of HS. Haven't done more than 2-3 days a season since.
My boards/boots/bindings are on the lower end (cheapest in the store). Definitely looking forward to trying something a little more sophisticated.

Good luck getting back with the swing of things ;)

Zany 02-16-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doktrin (Post 376668)
My boards/boots/bindings are on the lower end (cheapest in the store). Definitely looking forward to trying something a little more sophisticated.

So first of all buy a good pair of boots. Try as many pairs as u can and pick one , that fits best. Boots are most important piece of equipment.
If u wanna stay low in price look after last years models or try ebay or smthing like that (this forum has ale nice buy/sell section, worth lookin). Its hard to give u advice on board because ur tight on budget so u must look what market offers. Companies u should look at ...Ride, K2 , Rome , Capita , Lib/GNU , Bataleon or something from US and A like Never summer, Arbor or Smokin but they are expensive.

j3n5 02-16-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doktrin (Post 376668)
Hadn't even heard of/considered that board and it's definitely in line with what I'm looking for.;)

It comes in a wide version for your 11.5s.. Team Gullwing Wide | NITRO SNOWBOARDS