Too much board for a rookie? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
Yeah, the "made outside US" is pretty much modern day slavery. Because of the value difference in human labor, companies just use other ppl to make things cheaper and the Americans who are PRODUCTIVE, can afford more of them. If your job is off-shored and you can't get another one, it just means you are a weak player in the economy and are inferior to your peers and too lazy to retrain for the new age and expect like a "union" or some crap to protect you. The fact is that we aren't "communists". We are equal oportunity capitalists, so if you are a weak worker and can be weeded out by some foriegner, you deserver to be poor. And the rest of the hard workers shouldn't slow down just for the weaklings and drag down the whole nation...and the rest of the world. This is what gloabalization entails.
There are companies that do it the right way though. Levis is a prime example. When they shut down their plant here in the U.S., they gave their current employees more than enough notice and also a generous severance check. Two things that a lot of other companies do not do. Levis also placed these workers in a program to help them train for other jobs. Basically, it was schooling to increase their skills and to help them find jobs. That is awesome by my books.

Also, they paid their off-shore workers well above that country's minimum and also provided things such as on location housing. Labor is in fact cheaper for them there as well as production as a whole. Levis would have went bankrupt otherwise as costs were rising too high here in the States.

While I rather not see companies having to do this, if they do, this is the way it should be done. I am pulling this information from memory so I might have some technical details wrong. I did a case study on Levis and business ethics involving this matter.

This is why I blanket statements like, "I choose to keep my money in the U.S." bother me. There is so much more to it than just that.

OP: The Rider's Choice is another good board. I don't really believe in too much board for a person. You will just have to work harder to learn on it. That is all. By the way, I think the Slayblade and HighLife are more aggressive than the RC.
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel8tedOne View Post
Thanks all, I think the big issue is indeed how fast I'll outgrow the board. While I'm learning now, i live less than 5 minutes from my local mountain and with night riding I hope to be up there at least 2-3 times a week next year.

While the CC is advertised as a board that can take you from beginner to advanced, I think while it may make riding harder at first, the other more advanced boards will have a longer run, and ultimately I need to try to get 3-5 years out of the board.

So far it looks like the Highlife and Slayblade are getting the votes, so does that mean the Riders Choice is something I should stay away from? I was thinking due to the magnetraction it would be a better choice? Is it just way too much of a board for my skill level?
If you have a night mountain in your backyard and go that often, I don't think advancement should drag out for too long. Of course this depends on the person, but I think that's a pretty decent amount of boarding opportunity. At first you might fall more and get tired quick, but if you go more and more close together, you should get used to it. And then when you ride the softer boards, you're gonna notice that they "can't hold and edge". But the Rider's Choice doesn't look all that hard to use anyway. If you want a really tough board with magnetraction, go for a Lib Tech Dark Series. That board will put you on your face if not careful. It's really narrow so if you have the skilz, you can whip that sucker arround in tight spaces.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-17-2011 at 12:07 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you ride hard freezing conditions, magnetraction rocks. There's no going back from there. But I do feel the the wavy edges are "felt" and makes the carve a little bumpy. It still holds the edge but I'm wondering whether this will slow you down or something a bit at higher speeds.
Oh, I just found this review. Apparently the the Jamie Lyne Pro model has a "mellowed out magnetraction" and the dude says it's because it's "built for speed". So I suppose magnetraction DOES actually slow the board down a bit.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The RC won't be too much board for you. It's a bit stiffer than the CC, and the base is definitely faster so you'll have to be more aware of not letting it ride you but I'd actually say you're better off with that rather than the slayblade or highlife.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a riders choice and love it. It will make you eat shit sometimes if you aren't paying attention. But it is freaking awesome on ice and hardpack. Magne Traction will slow you down a bit at first but once you get used to it, the board is just as fast as any other. It is all in what you want in a board. If you want to hold an edge on ice, get magne traction. I would also say get a RC over the carbon credit because it will last a little longer. The RC also has C2BTX which will rider better at high speeds.
that1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nice, thanks for the info guys, I think I'm leaning towards the RC then, provided I can get one wide enough to fit. I think the magnetraction will be good in the crap conditions I have here all the time, and I can afford to eat it a few times learning, as when I was first getting started I dumped more and harder than I ever imagined. Can't really see it being worse.
Pixel8tedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry that much about it. You're kinda heavy so most stiff boards will be relatively midflex (or even soft) to you and comparable to some other smaller ppl learning on "beginner boards".

I actually rode a Dark Series a while ago when I was like half your weight and if the specs are the same, that board is stiffer both lengthwise and tortionally than any of the RC you can get and I learned to ride that pretty good. Maybe it would be equivalent to you riding a flex 12 or something. I wasn't a "beginner" when I got it, but I didn't feel it was so hard than only Shaun White can handle it, either. Just to put it in perspective.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-17-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, the "made outside US" is pretty much modern day slavery. Because of the value difference in human labor, companies just use other ppl to make things cheaper and the Americans who are PRODUCTIVE, can afford more of them. If your job is off-shored and you can't get another one, it just means you are a weak player in the economy and are inferior to your peers and too lazy to retrain for the new age and expect like a "union" or some crap to protect you. The fact is that we aren't "communists". We are equal oportunity capitalists, so if you are a weak worker and can be weeded out by some foriegner, you deserver to be poor. And the rest of the hard workers shouldn't slow down just for the weaklings and drag down the whole nation...and the rest of the world. This is what gloabalization entails.
Woah, hold on there. You have made some very incorrect generalizations here. Your viewpoint assumes three things: 1) That skilled labor isn't productive (which it is). 2) That there are an infinite number of jobs (which there is not). 3) That only unskilled labor gets outsourced (India is a great example of a place where skilled labor gets outsourced).

You really need to brush up on your economics before you make a post like this. Frankly, your viewpoint is baseless, unfair, and uneducated. Please do not spout this off to other people as though it's true. And allow me to quote a very eloquent man from another place I post, regarding this issue.

"If his view of the world is this myopic, I doubt there's anything you can do here. But speaking holistically and philosophically, I think what he's overlooked is that man doesn't exist to serve capital. Capital exists to serve man. It's something we create--it doesn't create us. Once we reverse that relationship, there really isn't even any point to living. Capital should be managed and directed to sustain human life, not simply enrich whomever owns capital. To do otherwise is to treat people not like human beings--who have lives and needs outside of the pursuit of monetary wealth--but like inanimate objects. And what kind of world is that?
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel8tedOne View Post
Nice, thanks for the info guys, I think I'm leaning towards the RC then, provided I can get one wide enough to fit. I think the magnetraction will be good in the crap conditions I have here all the time, and I can afford to eat it a few times learning, as when I was first getting started I dumped more and harder than I ever imagined. Can't really see it being worse.
Pix,
I haven't ridden the RC, but I did just buy a Lib Tech Travis Rice. Libs have Magne-traction also and I can say that the T.Rice is a great all mountain ride.

Its designed as a mid-wide so should be good for you given the big dogs. If you look, look at the 2 longer ("pointy") sizes. Not only does it hold edges, but I rode her for the first time yesterday in a foot of POW and it was great.

Hope that doesn't complicate your search, but having just gone through it myself ... more info/opinions is better.

Good luck!
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default A change of plans

Thanks guys for all the info! So I looked around and comparison shopped and while I was looking a new board popped up, and after price matching and assorted discounts I ended up picking up a 163 NS Legacy for $50 less than the RC. When it was all said there were a lot of positives to the SL/Legacy and the 3 year warranty helped out a ton a well. Also getting it for about 35% off didn't hurt either, now I just have to figure out the bindings.
Pixel8tedOne is offline   Reply With Quote