Resort Powder Board - Thinking of getting Burton Malolo NS Summit /Jones Hovercraft? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Resort Powder Board - Thinking of getting Burton Malolo NS Summit /Jones Hovercraft?

Been Thinking of getting a Resort Powder Board. Came down to these 3 boards

Burton Malolo 162 / NS Summit 167 /Jones Hovercraft

I'm 170 lbs wearing size 10 boots. Was wondering what board is most suitable for me. I'm riding mostly in Japan (Nagano/Hokkaido) and have a NS Summit 161cm cambered version from 2007. I found that boarddifficult to ride on groomers at end of day when all the powder is tracked out in the resorts and tend to catch edge easy.

I see these boards are based on some form of rocker hybrid and hope that will solve this issue i'm having while keeping the powder riding performance. Please advise which board is most suitable.

Thanks!
ckang008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

Not sure if you can get one over there but a Smokin Pinner is a good powder board that has magnetraction for getting to & from the pow stashes once everything gets beat up. I have one and I love it
Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would've gotten the Jones Hovercraft, but it only comes in a 156. I ended up getting a K2 Gyrator 162 and am so satisfied with my decision. It's so fast and floats effortlessly. I would also suggest looking at the Rome Notch, Capita Charlie Slasher/Party Shark, Burton Fish, Ride Slackcountry.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like my Burton Malolo a lot, it's a blast in powder and also handles well on groomers. It's the only powder board I've owned, I'm sure the other boards recommended here are also great.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I would've gotten the Jones Hovercraft, but it only comes in a 156. I ended up getting a K2 Gyrator 162 and am so satisfied with my decision. It's so fast and floats effortlessly. I would also suggest looking at the Rome Notch, Capita Charlie Slasher/Party Shark, Burton Fish, Ride Slackcountry.
AAANNNDDD Lib 1986 Snow Mullet, I've got the 160 and I'm 175# and it floats amazingly but still super turney in tight trees. I even get to ride it tomorrow with at least 17" fresh!
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 for the snow mullet, Im 165lbs and I've got the 165 and its really fun board. Easy to ride tight stuff because it turns so quick, but you can ride it fast because of the longer length. My buddy has the charlie slasher and the mullet is a softer surfier feel. While the the charlie rides more like a freeride board, with taper. The btx rock profile makes ollieing in pow effortless, which can not be the case with cambered or a flat board like the charlie. It did great today on 8" of light snow on a hard base, kept you up in the powder instead of bottoming out in turns.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Out of your three mentioned, I have just been on the Summit. It's definitely a pow slayer and is perfectly capable on the groomers and hard pack. You can't go wrong with it, that is for sure.

The Gyrator is also a good pow slayer.

As far as the other boards mentioned, I haven't ridden them in any conditions to form an opinion on them.

Last edited by killclimbz; 02-19-2011 at 09:11 PM.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
It did great today on 8" of light snow on a hard base, kept you up in the powder instead of bottoming out in turns.
Gee I wonder where you were today... I was there too. Lots nicer AM before it got tracked out. First run down Maverick I basically just pointed it and enjoyed the floaty goodness.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

couldn't ask for a better pow board for bridger, the magnetraction is a big help while one footing icy traverses. My first run on a pow day is always the snowy side of the out of site snow fence, the wind blows it in knee deep on an 8" day, then strait line the john through the bottom of north bowl.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not good enough to drop in there yet. I do Alpine the most right now, because it's usually less crowded and the trees are perfect for my skill level. On pow days I'll drop in about halfway up north bowl -slowly working my way further south. Those moguls freak me out.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote