A few Detuning questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 04:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default A few Detuning questions

Ok, so i understand that you detune your edges so you dont catch an edge either on the snow or on a box/rail, but this has me pretty confused. Im even more confused after watching multiple videos on youtube.

Some of the videos said to completely detune the contact points, and bevel the effective edge. Now this makes no sense to me. dont you need the contact points sharp in order to turn?

Then some videos said to heavily detune the effective edge up to about 1/2 inch into the contact points. now this makes sense for boxes and rails, but the 2 methods are exact opposite of each other, and for freeriding, it seems that detuning the contact points will completely mess up your turning ability.

There is no clear cut guide to detuning which areas and why you would detune those areas. all i see is "This is how you detune your snowboard" and then they say something completely different than the other videos.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
mjd

Yep, you want to take the contact points right down or, at least with camber, you'll eventually get bit- usually when you're going slower not paying attention. The sidecut will hold your turn fine. I think the standard is like 2" from the end of the effective edge back. I know a guy who goes 5" back and another guy that doesn't detune at all- then again he doesn't even bother waxing his board.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...-question.html
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd View Post
Yep, you want to take the contact points right down or, at least with camber, you'll eventually get bit- usually when you're going slower not paying attention. The sidecut will hold your turn fine. I think the standard is like 2" from the end of the effective edge back. I know a guy who goes 5" back and another guy that doesn't detune at all- then again he doesn't even bother waxing his board.
So why do other videos say to take your effective edge down and leave your contact points sharp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
That thread was no help to me. Im trying to figure out WHY i should detune in certain places, so i can figure out how to properly detune for my riding style

It just seems like detuning the contact points defeats the purpose of even having contact points.

Last edited by PanHandler; 02-18-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i guess nobody knows
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Think of it this way. Your only using your sidecut edges (in between your bindings) to hold an edge, and initiating a turn with the contact points (tip and tail edges). I know it may seem logic that you should have your contact points top tuned to initiate the turn, but apparently, rounding of the edges (detuning) doesnt harm your ability turn, but protects you from catching an edge only.
You might be looking for a proof of this, but i can tell you that this is what i have been told and what my experience tells me is right (:
Runojc is offline   Reply With Quote