Getting ready to buy my 1st board/setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting ready to buy my 1st board/setup

Ok initially I was gonna do the dumb thing and just buy a vapor because I picked one up and it was light as crap, looked good, costed alot so must be the best right!?!?

Then I decided to do research and found that though it's a nice board it may not be for me so I'm going to list all I know to list and look here for guidance.

Experience: I've only been snowboarding a couple times but i picked it up instantly and have already progressed enough to surpass my wifes ability who has been going for years(not saying much since she's a pretty timid boarder) we don't get to go alot so when we do it's primarily on a groomed mountain. Although and am wanting to hit up parks and go more freestyle as I progress. I am pretty fearless, which is why I think I picked it up so quickly.

Sizing:
5'11"
145lbs (150ish all geared up)
Boot size 9(basing off my moto boots, 1st time I went boarding I can't remember what size boots I got and last time I ASKED for 9 but they only had 9.5... Which felt good at the time but at the end of the day my acheles was rubbed raw from heal lift)

Boarding style: beginner all mtn freestyle

I'm wanting to learn more freestyle though once I have better control and something that will still be fun for a little all mountain and from what I have gathered from alot of reading I need a pretty flexible board since I'm so light. As far as length goes I'm thinking 155-157

I have a few boards in mind and would like some opinions and am also up to advice on anything that will better suit my needs

burton custom or custom flying v
(would like to know the pro's and cons of the two)(also would like to know real world flex on these compared to the others I've listed since Burton does a crappy job of listing how their boards really flex)

also thinking about a neversummer sl or evo
(even though its not a burton i would like some comparative feedback on these)

I will primarily looking for all mountain freestyle or freestyle board, i live in texas so the places i would be going would be like Ski Apache in Ruidoso NM(most of the time since its closest), Wolf creek in Pagosa Springs CO, and other various places similar places in Colorado.

That should be enough to get this party started!
mikeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Holy crap I just realized how much typing that was! Didnt realize how much went into picking the right board!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

if you can afford the vapor
just buy the vapor... but go balls out all all your other gear too. general rule of thumb, boots are most important, then personally i'd say bindings and the stick is the least important piece of equipment but hey, no one really hates burton, we all wish we could shred the mountain with a vapor
jyuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

everyone seems to love the sl and evo, i'm sure some people will give their opinions on those

as for size, at 150ish I'd go 155 for all mountain, 152 for freestyle
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbor Westmark, Flow Era, Signal Omni, Bataleon ET, Nitro Rook, Forum Destroyer Chili, or a K2 Darkstar.

All around a 152-154

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes View Post
everyone seems to love the sl and evo, i'm sure some people will give their opinions on those

as for size, at 150ish I'd go 155 for all mountain, 152 for freestyle
Man you really think 152? (leaning more towards freestyle the more I look)

I've been reading some bad stuff about burtons structurability but it could just be bashing for all I know, but I am hard on things so I'm going to need something that will hold up especially me being a newbe. Rest assure I'm going to put whatever I get though alot during the learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Arbor Westmark, Flow Era, Signal Omni, Bataleon ET, Nitro Rook, Forum Destroyer Chili, or a K2 Darkstar.

All around a 152-154
The signal & k2 don't seem too bad but so far I still like the NS or Burton better
Old 02-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For park at 145lbs I usually ride a 150 for jibs and 152 for all around.

NS are good board and will last. But they come with a price tag. Signal is a great company and make great boards. Of all the companies they could have chosen, Volcom chose Signal to press their boards. The K2 cause its zero cam and tried and true construction. I really like zero cam for park riding.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check out Capita's Travis Parker Texas Snowboard, for the geographically appropriate choice.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ugh fugly!

Is there any pros/cons to getting a wider board like the revolver over the evo (even w/o big feet). Im really leaning towards the evo and I know u aren't supposed to buy based on looks but it's a little "pink" for my likings lol
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

pretty much have it narrowed to the evo and the sl.... leaning more towards the evo but i like the damping better on the sl(i have a bumb knee that needs any help it can get) anyone have experience with both?

my next thing to look at is boots/bindings but i know this isnt the part of the forum for that