Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board that compares performance wise to a NS Raptor X 165 (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/37819-board-compares-performance-wise-ns-raptor.html)

Tater 02-20-2011 01:41 AM

Board that compares performance wise to a NS Raptor X 165

Ordered a NS 165 directly from NS only to be told 2 days later it is out of stock, and nowhere to be found anywhere else.

So, after emails to NS and no response.I plan reluctantly bring my money else where,

Please give me your thoughts on what I should get...

Free Ride/All mountain, no park or jibs.

Lib Tech Snunk Ape?

K2 Slay Blade Wide?

Bataleon Undiputed?

Nitro Magum?

What else should I consider?? Please help

cjcameron11 02-20-2011 05:38 AM

i love my skunk ape, thats all i can give advice on though i havent ridden the others, but libs are awesome boards

TLN 02-20-2011 08:14 AM

well, there's alot board no worse that raptor:
elan vertigo, f2 eliminator, donec incline(or any other custom), prior (lots of models). That is on the stiffer end.
Unity dominion is a nice choice too.

My personal voice for elan vertigo(stiff bx board) or unity dominion for a powder. Or skunk ape, but i don't wanna see the same board as mine on a slopes.

dice 02-20-2011 10:45 AM

NS Raptor X (most damp)
Nidecker Platinum (fastest border x)
Arbor A-Frame (solid all around)
Burton T7 (most versatile & fun)
Salomon Burner (fast $ value)

Cheers

dice 02-20-2011 10:47 AM

Here's a detailed review from my friend at the goodride.com. :)

Normally I would say get the Burner but because you ride in hard to icy conditions I would suggest the NS Raptor X, Nidecker Platinum, Arbor A-Frame and Burton T7 over the Burner. *The Burner is a great big mountain board for a place with good snow and lots of powder but not for where you ride.*

The A-Frame 166 or 170 will be pretty fun for what you are looking for. *It has a very narrow waist and is very fast and carvy. *It will also spring of jumps very well. *

The Platinum 168 is designed for Boarder Cross so out of all these boards it has the least chatter and is made to handle big jumps at high speeds. *It's very aggressive and not that forgiving so you need to be on your game all the time when you ride this.*

The NS Raptor 169 is hybrid camber and even though it doesn't have a camber shape this has excellent edge hold due to Its side cut. The Raptor is still a beast but it's more forgiving than the Platinum and A-Frame. *It also springs well off of jumps at high speeds. Out of all of these boards it will float the best in powder. The Burner would be second to the Raptor when it comes to powder.*

The T7 is smaller and although fast and directional has more of an all mountain ride to it. *The edge hold is excellent as well due to the med/stiff flex and the extension of the edges between the feet. A 162 just won't hand with a 168-170 in terms of speed and carving but if the T7 made a 168 it would be right there with the Platinum.*

Hope this helps and let me know what you decide on.*

JB
The Good Ride
Snowboard Gear Reviews By The Good Ride

danm 02-20-2011 03:54 PM

T.Rice 164.5 also.

Tater 02-20-2011 03:56 PM

Also want to mention I wear a size 13 boot so I will need a wide board.

Listheeb21 02-20-2011 04:03 PM

Damn...you're really bummed about that Raptor X being out of stock. I poked around the other day and couldn't find anythiing but a 161. Good luck finding something similar.

What about waiting for next year's model to come out?

Tater 02-20-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Listheeb21 (Post 378973)
Damn...you're really bummed about that Raptor X being out of stock. I poked around the other day and couldn't find anythiing but a 161. Good luck finding something similar.

What about waiting for next year's model to come out?

Yeah I am totally bummed. I have a trip coming up in like 2 weeks and currently dont have another board to ride, so I need to find something or I would wait for next years model.

Listheeb21 02-20-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tater (Post 378976)
Yeah I am totally bummed. I have a trip coming up in like 2 weeks and currently dont have another board to ride, so I need to find something or I would wait for next years model.

It might be tough to get it in time, but have you checked the NS website for the dealer list? There are a bunch of dealers that don't have websites, so with a couple phone calls, you might find what you're looking for...