Rossignol - One Magtek Alternatives? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Beginners should stick with a size that suits their weight. Each board has a unique weight range for each size. The Attack Banana has similar flex and sizing to the TRS which lists the 159cm for 125lb+ riders. That's you my friend. I'm right about your weight, 180-185lbs and the 159 is definitely the size I would get for all-mountain purposes.

A smaller board will be easier to handle, but once you get good, it might end up being too soft for your liking. That's what happens when you size down from the suggested weight. The board flexes softer than intended. Opposite for sizing up. The board will flex stiffer. This is why it's ideal to stay within the range so you get the intended flex or close to it.

As for Summit Sports, keep in mind that you can call them ahead and see if they have the product you want in that location. If not, they could transfer the item there for you.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt33 View Post
I think I want a Rossignol One Magtek
Let me preface my comment by saying Leo is 'da bomb and has offered me and others loads of excellent and accurate advice. With that said, I'm not sure I agree with his assertion that the OneMagTek is stiff. I have not ridden it (and I apologize if he did), but i did recently demo the Angus Amptek which by all accounts is the OneMagTek without Magne-traction. They are both listed as medium flex.

For what's its worth, the Angus was a very friendly ride... it has amazing turn initiation. I felt like i was wakeboarding, it practically turned itself with every foot twitch. In fact, I went for something I thought was a little stiffer just because it felt too soft (for my personal needs).

That said, the options mentioned above are also good. Magnetraction is awesome for holding an edge (especially helpful when riding a less-than-stiff board.) I'm way supportive of the LibTech recommendation - I ended up w/ the LibTech Travis Rice. Lib tech has a similar camber/rocker hybrid though the camber and rocker are "reversed" from the Rossi Amptek. By that i mean LibTech is rockered in the middle, cambered going out from there; the Rossi is cambered in the middle and rockered from there toward tip and tail. Either way, you get the benefits of both.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Don`t knock it...I picked up the Angus this season and it is one of the best rides I have ridden. They might be a "Johnny come lately" to snowboarding, but they were skis long before the first Snurfer was on the market....
And are they really a Johnny come lately? I swear I had a Rossignol race board back in the late 80s or early 90s.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Stopped at Dicks Sporting Goods on my way home because my buddy said they moved all local stock to a couple stores and put it on clearance... I had to make a few calls to reserve equipment and had to drive all over SE MI in a snow storm but think I got a sick deal. Could not pass this up.

Board: Got the Rossi OneMagtek for $135... no bs. Size 156, could not believe it.
Boots: Salomon Savage for $65
Bindings: Burton CO2 for $120

Since I saved so much loot here I got new goggles, some under armour, and a new helmet. Feeling a little sick if you know what I mean!

Mike
mschmidt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Don`t knock it...I picked up the Angus this season and it is one of the best rides I have ridden. They might be a "Johnny come lately" to snowboarding, but they were skis long before the first Snurfer was on the market....
Right on, Wolf. I was pleasantly surprised with the Angus. Demo'd it from Second Wind to check and out the Amptek shape and almost bought it.

And Grasshopper's right - Rossi's been making boards as long as half of the "more respectable" board-only entities out there today, but get bashed cause they make skis too. K2 makes a couple of great boards also and get the same bad rap.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeDad View Post
Let me preface my comment by saying Leo is 'da bomb and has offered me and others loads of excellent and accurate advice. With that said, I'm not sure I agree with his assertion that the OneMagTek is stiff. I have not ridden it (and I apologize if he did), but i did recently demo the Angus Amptek which by all accounts is the OneMagTek without Magne-traction. They are both listed as medium flex.

For what's its worth, the Angus was a very friendly ride... it has amazing turn initiation. I felt like i was wakeboarding, it practically turned itself with every foot twitch. In fact, I went for something I thought was a little stiffer just because it felt too soft (for my personal needs).

That said, the options mentioned above are also good. Magnetraction is awesome for holding an edge (especially helpful when riding a less-than-stiff board.) I'm way supportive of the LibTech recommendation - I ended up w/ the LibTech Travis Rice. Lib tech has a similar camber/rocker hybrid though the camber and rocker are "reversed" from the Rossi Amptek. By that i mean LibTech is rockered in the middle, cambered going out from there; the Rossi is cambered in the middle and rockered from there toward tip and tail. Either way, you get the benefits of both.
Thanks for the compliment!

And yes, I have been on both the 2011 and 2012 Rossi One Magtek as well as the 2011 Angus. The One Magtek and Angus are both stiff and damp boards. I'm 180lbs and rode them in a 156/158 respectively. They actually are quite different boards. I pulled some info from their tech sheets... The Angus has shorter tips which probably is a reason why it feels less stiff than the One Magtek. It is also probably the reason why I felt some chatter in the nose on faster runs. One Magtek has a higher nose/tail height.

For an all-mountain board, the One Magtek has a great flex for my own personal tastes. For a beginner, it's going to be too stiff in my opinion. The One Magtek is comparable to the T.Rice in the flex department. It's also a fast board.

Now, I'm not saying that he can't learn on this board. Sure he can and will still probably have a killer time. I just recommend looking at other options to make his experience more enjoyable.

mschmidt: What model years are those equipment? I ask because the price is insane if it's a 2011 model. The One Mag was quite a different board before 2011. Straight camber rather than hybrid which will make it even less forgiving.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Almost positive it is 2011. Google search shows the same graphic for all, some say 2010 others say 2011, some in white, brown, and black. Mine is the black or brown one. Will check later and can post a pic. You have got me worried that I'm going to hate this board. Can I check with a serial number/model number?

Rossignol Men's One MagTek Snowboard 2011 - Dick's Sporting Goods

Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt33 View Post
Almost positive it is 2011. Google search shows the same graphic for all, some say 2010 others say 2011, some in white, brown, and black. Mine is the black or brown one. Will check later and can post a pic. You have got me worried that I'm going to hate this board. Can I check with a serial number/model number?

Rossignol Men's One MagTek Snowboard 2011 - Dick's Sporting Goods

Mike
That is definitely the 2011. I'm shocked at the deal you got on that.

About the "Johnny come lately" comment. I think when people use that to denote Rossignol, they aren't talking about the amount of time Rossi has been making boards. Rather, they are referring to the fact that Rossignol has just recently started focusing more energy their snowboard side. The 2010 One Magtek vs the 2011 is a prime example.

Rossi was well on its way to being another Sims before they started making changes in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

I would have hoped the (silly) anti-Rossi bias might have died off by now with boards like the Experience and AmpTek enhanced JDub and One on the market.
eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

Tried the new equiptment last night for a few hours and was very happy and went home smiling... had a high the rest of the night. Conditions were perfect, good snow, no wind, and not very crowded.

Board: Took a few runs to gain my confidence but it was much faster and handled better than the different rentals I have had. Very happy. Even with the perfect conditions it started to catch a few edges that I thankfully saved. Maybe fell twice the entire night. With that said on typical conditions here I might struggle a bit. I plan to do some research on de-tuning or a different grind to tone it down a bit for me. Thoughts? I also plan to make a post on my guess for stance and angle, etc. Comments? I'm sure I will get used to whatever I have but I would like it setup correctly first so I don't get used to something that will hurt me later. Might even get a lesson next fall to prevent bad habits from forming.

Bindings: Very nice and light yet snug and secure. My lower back was a bit sore and I was still able to strap my boots in while standing. Need more practice getting the ratchet to start. No other complaints.

Boots: Very warm and confortable in the 3+ hours I was in them. Very easy to lace and held tight. No complaints.

Goggles: Very nice and were great at night. Minor fogging but cleared. Felt a little tight on my nose and made it slightly harder to breathe at times. Might look into modifications or alternatives.

Helmet: Very comfortable, light, and warm. Wish I would have held out to find the next up model with the built in headphones. Otherwise perfect.

Under Armour: Kept me warm and dry, well worth it.

Mike