In the market for my first total set-up. Need suggestions! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default In the market for my first total set-up. Need suggestions!

So I started snowboarding this year and I'm looking to get a board/binding/boots for next year. From what I've heard the next few months are the best time to get good deals on stuff.

I've been about 6 times this year and a few times before that when I was younger, I can make it down blue square trails just fine. The last two times I went I really started to pick it up. I'll be riding on the east coast so a lot of hardpacked ice and very little pow (Ober G-burg, Sugar mtn, and Paoli). I am 6' and weigh about 195-200 so I'm thinking a 160ish board? I'm in college with limited money to spend so my budget is 400 bucks tops for board/bindings/boots. I already have pretty good gear as far as jacket, gloves, pants, etc. I have been looking at used Lib-tech and GNU boards because of the magne-traction seems (from what i have heard on forums and local guys) to be really good on hardpack. What other boards are good on hardpack/icy conditions?

I will more than likely just go to one of the local shops and buy boots to make sure I get the right size and fit. Would it be better to go all out on a nice set of binding's that are going to last awhile and go with a cheaper board? Basically I just want a solid entry level board that keeps me from having to pay for a rental every time, and not spend a shit ton of money. Any help is appreciated!
///M3ntal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

BUMP! BMW for life...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nothing at all?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If all you can spend is $400 you might have a hard time finding something decent. Most people will say boots are the most important thing, but a top of the line boot will eat away at a huge chunk of that $400. At any rate I think your on the right track looking for a used Lib or Gnu. Also keep an eye out for Never Summer as they hold pretty good on ice too.
If your patient and shop around and maybe even try and track down some of last years stuff new I think you can get a good setup for that kind of dough.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Do what my girlfriend did... she just bought boots and pants... and uses my board and bindings until she saves up to buy her own..

Not MINE mind you, take a friends... I just let her ride my burton seven park stick when she actually gets time to go out....
yeeeeeaaaaahh..

the dealio: get boots that are comfy (not necessarily the most expensive/mine were about 140$) then some shitty bindings... and a shitty board... because you are learning...

NOW.. the second lesson is learning if you want to take this sport seriously you better be ready to drop dough on good gear so you don't have to replace it so damn fast like i'm having to.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been using a friends Morrow board and I've moved up to jumps, riding switch, linking turns easily, etc. I am progressing pretty fast. Next place is the park for shit's and giggles. Now that I am off of the shitty rental boards I can finally do something.