Advice from those who know on what board to buy.... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice from those who know on what board to buy....

First, thanks in advance for the insight. Second, I know the question gets old by I need some advice from people who know that are not trying to sell me something. As you all know end of season sales are among us, and I want to upgrade by current set up (Burton Mayhem 158 with Burton Cartels). I would like something Made in the USA, but not a deal breaker. I want an "all mountain freestyle" board, as I ride resorts only (No backcountry excursions yet, but hopefully next winter). I would catalog myself as an accomplished beginner, no problems with turns at speed, small jumps, and the occasional park lap (getting more commonplace as my son gets more into it). 98% East Coast Riding (NC, WV, and one CO trip per year). I do not want a directional board, and I prefer flat or cambered.

Open to any and all suggestions and Brands. Stats: 5'11", 215 (i know, lay off the fries), size 11 boots. Looked at Ride Machete, Burton Process, Never Summer SL or Legacy. Let me know what you guys would recommend.

george_4116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe look at Prior as they still make cambered boards. It's not made in the USA but it is made in Canada. Seems like everyone else has completely jumped on the rocker or rocker/camber bandwagon.
Then again if it's 98% ice coast riding you would be happier with magenetraction I think, Lib Tech, Gnu, Smokin and Jones all got magne. But NS is a great company as well, and the other boards you mentioned are good but there made over seas..
You should be looking at 61-65 range. And you probably don't need to get a wide, but it might depend on your boots and bindings or stance.

Last edited by freshy; 02-21-2011 at 06:42 PM.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well from the research I did before my recent purchase, I'd look at a lib tech trs (magnetraction since you are on the ice coast)or NS SL/Heritage. Also the Gnu Riders Choice which is similar to the TRS, but has a sintered base. The NS Legacy is the wide version of the SL. I'd say somewhere around the 164 length for your weight, but + or - a few cm becomes personal preference. Never Summer has the vario traction or w/e which is like a mellow magnetraction from what I've gathered. I'll compare it to my banana magic when my SL gets in this week... but the b magic has a pretty hardcore version of magnetraction it looks like, the trs also has a slightly aggressive version I believe, which is good for ice. It may feel a little catchy sometimes from user reviews, though.

Any of those boards will be a great all mountain freestyle board, the heritage is a little stiffer, but can still be a freestyle board, not the greatest for park flexibility though from what I've gathered.

I haven't ridden any of them yet, so this is all from research on forums, reviews and specs on paper for the most part. My banana magic feels stiff enough to do all mountain, but still flexible enough to play in the park, although I wouldn't consider it a jib board.
Chance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Burton Joystick 161......I may not be the most knowledgeable...but I am about the same size as you and went through this search last year....looking for my first board that I was determined to not grow out of quickly....through my search both here and at several shops locally (none of which actually had one btw) I pulled the trigger on it and it has been great!.....easy to ride, holds edges on ice great and seems pretty forgiving as I have only caught a couple of edges so far..

probably be a few comments to dispute the Burton stick but I am very happy....
stomper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Only made in US zero I know of is Smokin. Thats got MTX too so this might be your best bet. Try a Super Offender, SuperPark camber, or M.I.P.

For a combo camber you might really like a Signal Omni. One of my favorite boards and made in LA.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_4116 View Post
First, thanks in advance for the insight. Second, I know the question gets old by I need some advice from people who know that are not trying to sell me something. As you all know end of season sales are among us, and I want to upgrade by current set up (Burton Mayhem 158 with Burton Cartels). I would like something Made in the USA, but not a deal breaker. I want an "all mountain freestyle" board, as I ride resorts only (No backcountry excursions yet, but hopefully next winter). I would catalog myself as an accomplished beginner, no problems with turns at speed, small jumps, and the occasional park lap (getting more commonplace as my son gets more into it). 98% East Coast Riding (NC, WV, and one CO trip per year). I do not want a directional board, and I prefer flat or cambered.

Open to any and all suggestions and Brands. Stats: 5'11", 215 (i know, lay off the fries), size 11 boots. Looked at Ride Machete, Burton Process, Never Summer SL or Legacy. Let me know what you guys would recommend.

I pretty much am the exact same height, weight and shoe size as you and from what you posted i would recommend the Machete. I would also through in the DH2 but I'm a bit biased about it because I ride one and absolutely love it. The differnece between the Machete and DH2 is that the DH2 is a bit stiffer mostly because of the poprods 2.0 and it also has a bit less rocker but besides that they are close to identical. As for size I choose to ride 159W mostly because I'm heading more into the park and figured the 161W would be a bit much for the park.

Riding Days:
Goal: 75+
Jeklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

for your weight and size foot, go with Never Summer, or Lib tech, both USA made.

do the homework on specs and get back to us if you find a problem.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

I would look into one of the Smokin DTX or ATX boards. Everything smokin is super bomber construction. They have the most rugged rock proof bases of any board I have seen. And I do have a Venture and a Never Summer.