Is a Skate Banana good for me? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It seems the Custom V is flex 4.
The Skate Banana starts at Flex 5 and ends at Flex 6.

Custom V is directional.
Skate Banana is true twin. The TRS is a directional version of the Skate Banana. Some ppl say it's a tad stiffer.

If you want to hit park a lot, I'd stick with the Custom V unless you want a true twin.
If the park is icy, look at the GNU Street series.

If you want an all arround compromise between everything, get the Skate Banana. There will be an Attack Banana next year that I believe will work better at faster speeds but compromising buttering a bit.

If you want high speed carving ability, a big hit board with magnetraction is Lib Tech Dark Series but it will be hard to butter this. If you want it wider, the Lib Tech Lando or Rice might be better for powder too I think. GNU Rider's Choice I think might be cheaper.

I've also rode an earlier version of the Skunk Ape a long time ago, and I feel that it can carve really well in one direction. It used to be called the "Hard Carving Series" or something like that, and I felt it was better than the Dark Series if I was to "race" someone. Not sure how much they changed it since then other than now it has magnetraction (good for ice) and C2.

If you really want to carve well, many ppl prefer camber, but I don't know of a magnetraction board with full camber.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 02-22-2011 at 09:41 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

ok, cool. Thanks ill check out those boards.
SnowManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

fyi, the skunk ape is just a wide version of Lib's TRS so don't look at that unless you have really big feet.
GorgeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgeDad View Post
fyi, the skunk ape is just a wide version of Lib's TRS so don't look at that unless you have really big feet.
No it's not. Look at the specs.
SA offset = .5, TRS offset = 0
SA stiffer then TRS in most cases
SA sidecut is bigger making it more freeride focused

It doesn't say so on the site, but I wouldn't be suprised if the sidecut shape is different.

The reason why it's "wider" is because it's made more to handle powder. And they are just made of similar ingredients.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
No it's not. Look at the specs.
SA offset = .5, TRS offset = 0
SA stiffer then TRS in most cases
SA sidecut is bigger making it more freeride focused

It doesn't say so on the site, but I wouldn't be suprised if the sidecut shape is different.

The reason why it's "wider" is because it's made more to handle powder. And they are just made of similar ingredients.
Frankly though, my friend, it is essentially a wide version of the TRS. The only reason it came to be was because the people who came up with idea for the skunk were Lib riders who had size 13's and wanted a deck similar to the trs.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post

the skunk ape has been the wide version of the trs since they departed from the HCFS (hard carving free style) series. and all libs have radial side cuts (meaning one continuous radius through out) with magnetraction 8.2c2mtx meaning 8.2 meter sidecut. I'm pretty sure the set back is new for this year.