Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Is a Skate Banana good for me? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/37887-skate-banana-good-me.html)

SnowManiac 02-21-2011 05:21 PM

Is a Skate Banana good for me?

Hey guys i am new to snowboarding and this forum and i have some questions. I have been boarding since the start of this season and i love it. Im 14 and i have gone out with my family over fifteen times this season. i have been advancing quickly and last week went to Stowe on a school ski trip and did Goat and Star and their respective glades. it was the best time of my life. my question is if the Skate Banana is for me. I live in CT and its really icy around here so i want a board that is has good hold on ice. the board i currently have is the 09/10 Burton Custom V-rocker smalls and doesn't seem to hold well. it is also a very flexible board and i was wondering is that is affecting how i carve at higher speeds because my carving doesn't seem as good as when i am carving at moderate speeds. i am am starting to learn Ollie's and butters and want to start park. thanks for your help in advance. Btw i am sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

GorgeDad 02-21-2011 06:38 PM

Welcome to the sport and the forum!

I think the Custom V and the Skate Banana are about the same flex (medium) and the Banana may even be softer. Unfortunately for you, your 2 goals are at odds with one another. A stiffer board will certainly provide more stability at higher speeds, but a more flexible board will be friendlier if you are transitioning to the park and want to do tricks.

I am not real familiar with the Burton but an upside of the Banana is the magnetraction which will help hold an edge on the icy trails you'll likely by riding. What you really need to decide is what qualities you need based on what kind of riding you want to do. Finding one board to do it all generally leads to making a sacrifice here or there. High speed carving on groomers is kinda the opposite end of the spectrum from a full on park stick.

Here's the Good Ride review for the Banana, if you haven't already seen it: Lib Tech Skate Banana Snowboard Review

Hope that helps a bit.

SnowManiac 02-21-2011 06:44 PM

Thank you that does help

Hodgepodge 02-21-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowManiac (Post 379565)
Thank you that does help

Hey, if it helps at all, i am a skate banana rider from CT. Where do you ride most often? I ride at Catamount quite a bit, and love my skate banana there. It certainly will hold its own on the mountain, and really helped me progress my riding style. It SLAYS the park, and fluffs the pow. Its a great deck.

SnowManiac 02-21-2011 08:16 PM

We have mostly been boarding at Belleayre.

Hodgepodge 02-21-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowManiac (Post 379608)
We have mostly been boarding at Belleayre.

well then definitely it's a great choice

SnowManiac 02-21-2011 09:18 PM

ok thanks (extra words)

GorgeDad 02-21-2011 09:39 PM

Just remember, the board needs to match you, the rider, not necessarily the mountain you're riding at. Every board is the perfect deck for somebody ... and there are a lot of boards that are very good that might not be the best option for you. Just try as best you can to pick one that matches you, your riding style and your skill - there are probably many that fit the bill -and you'll be psyched. Ultimately, the best way is to demo boards, if possible, because there is no way to read about or explain how or why a board just feels right for you.

walove 02-22-2011 08:51 AM

you could consider the gnu park pickle, slightly stiffer (small but noticeable), and an tighter radius on the heel side to help with carving. Same price same tech

SnowManiac 02-22-2011 05:09 PM

ok thanks ill check it out