Burton Custom 1011? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Custom 2010/11?

Hi guys. New to this forum, but I have been lurking for a while.

I have a Burton Custom 162, I think it is a 2003/2004 model. Blue on top sheet, says "designed by Dave Downing", black and yellow C underneath. This board has served me well, and still does actually. I have mostly been snowboarding occasionally the past 8 years, with a very long break, but this year I have been doing it a lot. Had just forgot how much I enjoy it I am a guy, 33 years old.

When it comes to my riding style, I enjoy riding groomers and I think it is very fun to hit red and not to steep black runs. As you can see below, I am tall and skinny. Because the 162cm board is quite stiff, it has forced me to use proper technique. I also feel that it is quite stable at speed on bumpier slopes and I manage to carve with it good enough. The other thing I do a lot is hitting jumps. Currently mostly smaller, blue and red jumps, but I am progressing. I have just started to learn doing 180s.

To summarize it: I like stability at speed, carving and hitting jumps of different sizes. I want to progress by getting better at riding steeper slopes and jumping. I have no plans on doing rails or any jibbing in general. A bit too old for that, imho.

Just bought Burton Cartel EST bindings (M) at half price, so I thought I might as well get a board too. The bindings seem great, btw. Looking currently at both 158cm and 163cm custom, almost half price on both. I believe the shorter one has more flex, but not sure how it compares to my old custom. Burton says that the 163 takes bindings size L, but can I still use medium bindings on it? I have also been considering a Custom X, but I am not sure here either. It might be to stiff.

My question is if custom is a good choice. Right now I lean towards the 158 model, because a bit more flex might be ok? Not sure if more flex will destroy some of the feel on steeper runs. If I figure out that this board is wrong alltogether, I can still return the bindings.

Some info about me:
height: 187cm (6' 1.6")
weight: barely 70kg (154 lbs)
shoe size: EUR 43 (US 10)
stance: regular

Last edited by zenith1; 02-23-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Made the title more readable ;)
zenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith1 View Post
Hi guys. New to this forum, but I have been lurking for a while.

I have a Burton Custom 162, I think it is a 2003/2004 model. Blue on top sheet, says "designed by Dave Downing", black and yellow C underneath. This board has served me well, and still does actually. I have mostly been snowboarding occasionally the past 8 years, with a very long break, but this year I have been doing it a lot. Had just forgot how much I enjoy it I am a guy, 33 years old.

When it comes to my riding style, I enjoy riding groomers and I think it is very fun to hit red and not to steep black runs. As you can see below, I am tall and skinny. Because the 162cm board is quite stiff, it has forced me to use proper technique. I also feel that it is quite stable at speed on bumpier slopes and I manage to carve with it good enough. The other thing I do a lot is hitting jumps. Currently mostly smaller, blue and red jumps, but I am progressing. I have just started to learn doing 180s.

To summarize it: I like stability at speed, carving and hitting jumps of different sizes. I want to progress by getting better at riding steeper slopes and jumping. I have no plans on doing rails or any jibbing in general. A bit too old for that, imho.

Just bought Burton Cartel EST bindings (M) at half price, so I thought I might as well get a board too. The bindings seem great, btw. Looking currently at both 158cm and 163cm custom, almost half price on both. I believe the shorter one has more flex, but not sure how it compares to my old custom. Burton says that the 163 takes bindings size L, but can I still use medium bindings on it? I have also been considering a Custom X, but I am not sure here either. It might be to stiff.

My question is if custom is a good choice. Right now I lean towards the 158 model, because a bit more flex might be ok? Not sure if more flex will destroy some of the feel on steeper runs. If I figure out that this board is wrong alltogether, I can still return the bindings.

Some info about me:
height: 187cm (6' 1.6")
weight: barely 70kg (154 lbs)
shoe size: EUR 43 (US 10)
stance: regular
At your weight I'd get a 158, I have a 157 and 158 I just ordered, but I like a little shorter board than some as I weigh about 185 lbs, but plan on dropping about 15 to give the board a little more stiffness and... well be healthier.

Since you have est bindings you might as well get a burton board if that is what you like, as only burton boards have the est channel, although you can get a mounting disc that you can use the est bindings with 4x4 pattern boards... but meh.

If you have a store you can go compare the flex of the custom and custom x to what you have with your current custom and see what you like more, I'd check out that route. They also have the custom flying v which is a rocker/camber combo I believe.

Also if you get a 1011... that must be the first board made, ever. Seeing as it would be 1000 years old.
Chance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance42 View Post
Since you have est bindings you might as well get a burton board if that is what you like, as only burton boards have the est channel, although you can get a mounting disc that you can use the est bindings with 4x4 pattern boards... but meh.
The EST conversion disk is for mounting standard bindings on an channel board. To use your EST bindings you will have to get a Burton ICS board.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input so far Looks I will go for a Custom X instead. Just took a look at board in size 158, and it seems stiff. Not as stiff as my old 162 custom I think, but then again the X is more in the "sweet spot" when it comes to my weight. Expensive as hell, but with a small rebate I think I will be happy. Still a little concerned about getting a shorter board, but I guess the "up to your chin" rule is not very important? A shorter board is probably easier to turn with too.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you really like your Custom, you might want to replace it with another Custom...here is where I'm coming from...
I have an older Burton Supermodel 163,pre ICS, which has a similar core as the Custom. This board has lots of pop and carves like a dream.It can get a bit chattery in chopped up crud, but overall, very stable.
My other Burton is a CustomX Wide159.It Is very stable,responsive,holds an edge very well, it never loses its composure no mater what the mountain throws at it.
The thing is, the Custom x seems so damp it's almost dead, hard to explain, but I feel disconnected from the snow and don't seem to get the same feedback from my feet .Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it seems less fun, and more serious.
If you want to take big jumps, then go with the X, but be aware , it will feel very different than the Custom , and I'm mostly talking about how it feels under my feet.
FirstChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Good advice FirstChair, now I got kind of concerned especially since you mention the feel of the board. However it seems like the custom x in size 158 is more flexible than my old 162 and my weight is in the middle of the range. When you mention the feel, would you mind to mention your weight?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

A small follow up question, do the EST bindings have a tendency to move around since you fasten each one with two screws only? That is something I would hate if the stance and/or angles suddenly change. I this is true, I will return the bindings and look for a board from a different manufacturer.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I picked up a new custom x this year and I love it I simply have an ear to ear grin whenever I'm on it. the only thing i noticed with it is that you can't be timid with it otherwise it will spit you out as in you have to hook into a corner hard and be ready for it to grab and maintain you line cause it doesn't slip in the corners. Also I have a set of bindings that I used the est conversion disc with and the bindings don't slip if you tighten them down right (the bolts have ridges that hold them in place inside the channel)
tyler243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not a problem , my weight is about 170lbs, I think that is around 77kg.I wear size 10.5 boots.
I've only been riding about 4 years, and have never ridden another board like the CX, I do like it,and would never sell it.
It may just be my lack of experience that makes me perceive it as less lively.It just seems that its ride is cushioned, but not in a lack of control way,sort of like it soaks up the small irregularities in the snow under you .
This probably is what helps it be very stable at high speed.
Only once did I have the back binding move a bit, but I didn't have it very tight, as I was using a pocket screwdriver to make adjustments.
A caveat is , if you like to use high forward binding angles, you are kind of limited by the EST binding.You can get a Max of about 25 deg.
If you put this thing on edge it will carve like it is on a rail!
FirstChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just bit the bullet and went broke on the Custom X 158. Oh well, it is a long time since I bought a snowboard and this time I got one in the middle of my weight class. Looking forward to adjust the bindings tomorrow and hitting a slope on Friday evening. Thanks for all the input Much appreciated.