First Board... would appreciate some help. - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ive also read great things about the NS SL. The only thing that scares me away a bit is the $500+ price tag for my first board. But im considering. I also read some great reviews on GNU Credit (thanks Pony for the suggestion). The more i read, the more i want to get a Rocker board... It just seems like the way to go for what im looking to accomplish and learn.

Im going to be looking for SL's and see if i can nail a deal somewhere... It's tough because they don't make 154's and that's my magic number right there... but i believe they do make 153's so im going to be on the lookout.

Dialpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

mwybe check out the arbor coda, capita indoor survival (more for boxes and rails) or ride machete
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialpex View Post
Ive also read great things about the NS SL. The only thing that scares me away a bit is the $500+ price tag for my first board.
You just have to keep an eye out as several places are starting to mark them down, they just don't last long when they do. I got my Legacy price matched down to $350 shipped, and have seen Premiers and a couple SL's in the $299-$325 range. Ultimately my legacy came in (at the time) $20 less than the Carbon credit I was looking at. So far it's been a dream.

Back on Carbon Credits, they are pretty solid and have gotten great reviews all around. Factor in they are below $300 pretty much everywhere now and they wouldn't be a bad place to look.
Pixel8tedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There was still a 153 SL on buysnow last night, but it's gone now.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel8tedOne View Post
You just have to keep an eye out as several places are starting to mark them down, they just don't last long when they do. I got my Legacy price matched down to $350 shipped, and have seen Premiers and a couple SL's in the $299-$325 range. Ultimately my legacy came in (at the time) $20 less than the Carbon credit I was looking at. So far it's been a dream.

Back on Carbon Credits, they are pretty solid and have gotten great reviews all around. Factor in they are below $300 pretty much everywhere now and they wouldn't be a bad place to look.

haha I would absolutely love to find an SL at the $299-$325 range. I really would. Lots of sites have them... but either at regular retail price or a bit discounted but not my size.

But yeah Credits seem like a really solid board. Im really starting to like what i read about these more and more. Congrats on your legacy.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

2011 K2 Raygun: This is an awesome board for the price. Mid-flex with K2's all-terrain rocker. This has 30% rocker in the tips and 70% flat camber in the middle. The nose has a medium rise rocker while the tail has a low rise. This shape is awesome for powder days. It also adds to the playfulness of the board. I can't recommend this board enough especially to beginners. It's a great board to learn on and is super affordable.

K2 Raygun Snowboard 2011

2011 GNU Carbon Credit: Another excellent value. It has BTX which is a full rocker with magnetraction sidecut. Magnetraction is basically wavy edges. What this does is provide you with 7 different points of contact on the snow. This design is awesome for icey/hardpack conditions. It provides excellent grip. Some people do say the board bites a little too much in other conditions due to the tech, but there is a simple solution... just take an edge tool and detune it. You'll still get the contact points for edge hold on ice without that grippy feeling when you don't want it. If ice and hardpack is what you mainly ride, the CC is a great choice.

Gnu Carbon Credit BTX Snowboard 2011

Both of these boards have extruded bases. While a waxed extruded base is slower than a waxed sintered base, when both are unwaxed, the extruded is faster. So this means two things depending on the type of rider you are:

1) You will find yourself waxing the extruded base more often so you can squeeze out max speed

2) You will find yourself not caring to wax the board as much and will be content with a dry extruded base

If you don't really mind the price of Never Summer boards, they are a really great choice. They make some very high quality hand-built boards and back it up with a 3 year warranty. I believe the EVO would be a good match for a beginner. This board is softer and is thus more forgiving. It does a good enough job all-mountain as well. It isn't going to be a great board for charging steep lines, but I don't think that is in your near future so no need to worry about that.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
2011 K2 Raygun: This is an awesome board for the price. Mid-flex with K2's all-terrain rocker. This has 30% rocker in the tips and 70% flat camber in the middle. The nose has a medium rise rocker while the tail has a low rise. This shape is awesome for powder days. It also adds to the playfulness of the board. I can't recommend this board enough especially to beginners. It's a great board to learn on and is super affordable.

K2 Raygun Snowboard 2011

2011 GNU Carbon Credit: Another excellent value. It has BTX which is a full rocker with magnetraction sidecut. Magnetraction is basically wavy edges. What this does is provide you with 7 different points of contact on the snow. This design is awesome for icey/hardpack conditions. It provides excellent grip. Some people do say the board bites a little too much in other conditions due to the tech, but there is a simple solution... just take an edge tool and detune it. You'll still get the contact points for edge hold on ice without that grippy feeling when you don't want it. If ice and hardpack is what you mainly ride, the CC is a great choice.

Gnu Carbon Credit BTX Snowboard 2011

Both of these boards have extruded bases. While a waxed extruded base is slower than a waxed sintered base, when both are unwaxed, the extruded is faster. So this means two things depending on the type of rider you are:

1) You will find yourself waxing the extruded base more often so you can squeeze out max speed

2) You will find yourself not caring to wax the board as much and will be content with a dry extruded base

If you don't really mind the price of Never Summer boards, they are a really great choice. They make some very high quality hand-built boards and back it up with a 3 year warranty. I believe the EVO would be a good match for a beginner. This board is softer and is thus more forgiving. It does a good enough job all-mountain as well. It isn't going to be a great board for charging steep lines, but I don't think that is in your near future so no need to worry about that.

Wow Leo this was really great feedback. I really liked reading and learning about the K2 Raygun. Sounds like a pretty nice board and you can't beat that price.

I do really like the NS boards from all the reading ive done on them. Specially the SL. But i think that will be my next board... Unless i find a ridiculous deal on it.

But on another note, this was really great info and im glad i joined up these forums. Im going to read a few more things on the Raygun and try to decide between that one and the GNU Credit.

Thanks a lot for the tips...
Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

I'm confused. If you change "extruded" to sintered" in #1 then it would make sense.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I'm confused. If you change "extruded" to sintered" in #1 then it would make sense.
No... people always say that. Sintered actually absorbs wax much better than extruded. This means you will be able to get more runs in between waxes.

An extruded base does not absorb wax as well and if you want to juice out the most speed from this base, you have to wax it practically after each session.

I hate when people sell extruded bases this way. The whole "you don't have to wax extruded as much" thing comes from the fact that a dry extruded base is faster than a dry sintered. But what non-novice snowboarder rides a dry sintered snowboard?

If I had an extruded snowboard, I'd be waxing it with each and every session so I can get the most speed out of it.

Waxed sintered base = much faster than an unwaxed extruded. Get what I'm saying now?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You just blew my mind.

But I get it