First Board... would appreciate some help. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board... would appreciate some help.

Hello everyone,

First id like to say that this place is amazing. What a pool of information... Im really enjoying looking around and have been learning quite a bit...

At any rate, Im getting ready to put my first set up together and i really would like some help on selecting "the right" board.

This is my first year snowboarding but i was able to pick it up pretty quickly. (Well im not linking my turns as smoothly as i would love to... but they will come. ... Anyway, ive been reading reviews, technologies, and other things pertaining certain boards and kinda narrowed it down to a couple of boards I really liked. But i know that some of you are experts on this and i would love to be pointed at a direction i haven't seen yet.

So here's some info... im about 5'8 and 165lbs and my intentions are to continue to do some All Mountain but im an avid freestyle roller blader and i plan on doing some park once my skills set will allow me to. My boot size is 8.

So ive been looking at a few boards... they are: 2011 K2 Believer, 2011 K2 Darkstar and the Burton Hero.

Anyway, I hope this is enough info to at least get some feedback. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by Dialpex; 02-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Dialpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bump... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Are you asking which of those 3 boards people would recommend? Perhaps if you tell us what you like and dislike about those Vs other boards in their same category we could help you decide.
PaintedPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedPony View Post
Are you asking which of those 3 boards people would recommend? Perhaps if you tell us what you like and dislike about those Vs other boards in their same category we could help you decide.
Hey Pony, sorry if i wasn't specific enough... and reading it again it didn't seem like i was.

So again, im a beginner as far knowing lots of technicalities about all of these technologies and boards but im doing my research as much as i can to get informed and get whats best for me.

So with that being said... I really like the Believer the best. I think its a nice board that will perform well All mountain and it will also allow me to develop my skill and eventually hit the park like im planning to do. But ive also read similar things about the Hero...

In reality im looking a board that will perform well everywhere in the mountain and that will be at least a bit forgiving at the same time so i can continue to develop my turns, speed as i take on bigger slopes and get ready for more challenges while riding.

As far as likings and dislikes about these boards... I don't think i can point many dislikes about these... as it took me sometime to narrow to these 3 based on the knowledge that i currently have. (which is not nearly much compared to you guys).

Any help, suggestions about these boards or other Intermediate boards will be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have you ridden the flat base style boards yet? I am not a fan of them, but there are people that really enjoy them. The stiffenss of the Believer might be a bit much for a beginner so demo or rent one if you can. I like the Burton rocker/rev camber, and I like the way most of their boards handle. It would be my choice from the ones you listed for your skill level, but I haven't ridden the specific boards you listed. I am just making a recommendation based off what I know about the different styles of boards you are considering.

I like the Burton Custom and NS SL as mid-level/expert, do it all boards. I actually just finished researching this when my son wanted a new board that could do it all. Obviously no board is going to dominate backcountry, groomers and park at the same time, but these two boards were what we narrowed it down to. The NS won when "buysnow" had his size for $360 on sale.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedPony View Post
Have you ridden the flat base style boards yet? I am not a fan of them, but there are people that really enjoy them. The stiffenss of the Believer might be a bit much for a beginner so demo or rent one if you can. I like the Burton rocker/rev camber, and I like the way most of their boards handle. It would be my choice from the ones you listed for your skill level, but I haven't ridden the specific boards you listed. I am just making a recommendation based off what I know about the different styles of boards you are considering.

I like the Burton Custom and NS SL as mid-level/expert, do it all boards. I actually just finished researching this when my son wanted a new board that could do it all. Obviously no board is going to dominate backcountry, groomers and park at the same time, but these two boards were what we narrowed it down to. The NS won when "buysnow" had his size for $360 on sale.
I have read nothing but great things on NS stuff but it seems that they don't have many options on my skill level and size.

I listed the boards above but im really looking for a board that could last me for a while and is good on mountain and park. Im not picky and i know that after next season i will have a much better understand of what i really like and what not since i plan on demo'ing a few boards.

I saw that Forum has a couple of nice boards that would fit what im looking for.. as well as Rosignoll... so with that being said... im just looking for more suggestions or other boards people may think would be ideal for me so i can on and read up on them.

Thanks again Pony.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

What about the GNU Carbon Credit or Pickle boards? Credit for all mountain and Pickle for park. Check out the buysnow site for some nice deals on both. If you aren't buying this year it is kinda a waste of time to eval boards since so much can change in a year. I still recommend people rent or demo various boards with different base designs so they learn what they like. The Ride boards are another group I like. The Machete is a demo board we really liked this year and it was in the list of possible boards when we first started looking at a new board for my son. Honestly, the NS won out because I like the camber/rocker design and we found a screaming deal when looking to buy two new boards.

I don't know much about FORUM boards except they used to do a lot in park style boards & I use to see them all the time when I was in CA but not much since I got to CO.

Any of the boards above will last a long time. I think lots of beginners worry they will outgrow a board to fast but that's hard to do unless it a total novice board. Otherwise you will be able to learn and grow on most boards for a few years and you'll probably even keep that original board as a back up once you get the itch to buy something new. Narrow your choice down to a handful of boards based on the base design and their function, test them if you can, then just look for the best deal.

Last edited by PaintedPony; 02-28-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you have a set price range? Because I know a few boards that might work, but are a little more expensive then the ones you listed.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

@Pony - Im not sure its a waste of time to eval and get a board now. Im not really looking to nail the best deal on next years stuff. On the contrary... im looking to get something from this year's stuff at a decent price. That's why ive been doing the research on current gear. Ill look up those boards and see what i can find about them. Im really leaning towards the a board that has a Rocker so im now leaning towards a board similar to the Hero or other boards with that feature.

@Nixon - Im looking at all options right now. Even if the price is not something i will be willing to pay, then at least i know i have something comparable to research against. Any suggestion will be appreciated man.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Are looking for a board really soon or are you willing to wait. If you can wait then wait till the end of the season and buy a board on sale. I got lucky with my NS SL sense they don't really go on sale but a Burton or a company that makes lots of boards will go on sale. NS won't make a beginner board but they are such nice boards they are worth it. The SL is a great all moutain board they can park and everything else it's terrific. The hybrid camber is really starting to come on strong and people have great things to say.

If you can wait then wait til the end of the season so you can find a killer deal, if not then a board on sale from last year would be the way to go.
KeystoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote